Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saturday Squam report

Went out with a friend on Saturday, made the extra effort to get there early. Was on the water 1/2 hour before first light, and didn’t take long to get action. Had a nice fish on right away, back and forth about 10 minutes, before losing it right at the boat. Next two weren’t so lucky, netted a couple nice salmon 24-25 inches, 4-5 lbs. Think they were both 3 yr olds, (no fins clipped). Had another LDR, then a really fat ‘bow at 20 inches, an even 4 pounds. Stuck it out until noon, with a few more keeper ‘bows – all told, 7 fish in the net, and a couple big boys that outfoxed us. All but one were caught running streamers off G2 planer with 5 colors and 100 to 150 mono, running around 2.5 to 2.6. Hate to admit it but, was my first experience with the planers, had been hesitant to add to my arsenal, fearing that the set-up would be a pain. Since my boat isn’t really set up for boards, I had to run off the downriggers. Was surprised at how easy things went, not sure now I really need to spring for a mast setup…

Many thanks to Big John and the guys at G2 for the help and patience they have shown in the past month, really paid off this weekend!

Re: Saturday Squam report

Question The g2 planers if you run them off the downrigger. Do they run out to the side of the boat. Or do they just run straight back.

triple D
Question The g2 planers if you run them off the downrigger. Do they run out to the side of the boat. Or do they just run straight back.

My boat is on the small side at 17.5 - they run about 45 degrees off the side, a little behind the back. My riggers are Walker Tournament series, about 2 feet in from the stern. I had the planers out as far as 30 feet with no trouble, even during a couple of pretty tight turns. They ran smooth from 15 feet out with no stalls or diving. I let them out by loosening the tension on the rigger, then snugging it back up when I got them where I wanted. Coming in was no problem just hitting the Up button. Was much simpler that I thought it was going to be, actually...

Thanks lefty.

Nice haul! Catching any salmon on Squam this year is an accomplishment.