Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
skin lesions on salmon?

boated some nice fish this morn.on winni- one 24" salmon,5 lb., and 5 others, 19-22", all on in line lead 3 colors and 10-16' on riggers with g2 stackers small single hook flatwing flys 2 of the salmon had bloody skin lesions uniformly covering there bodies, anyone else seen this? fish seemed fat and healthy otherwise. filleted and skinned both fish as i did not want to release these, meat seemed fine. could this be caused by the warm surface water they seem to be hanging in this summer, most of my fish are coming from 20 to 30 ft. this year.

Re: skin lesions on salmon?

Bob F.
boated some nice fish this morn.on winni- one 24" salmon,5 lb., and 5 others, 19-22", all on in line lead 3 colors and 10-16' on riggers with g2 stackers small single hook flatwing flys 2 of the salmon had bloody skin lesions uniformly covering there bodies, anyone else seen this? fish seemed fat and healthy otherwise. filleted and skinned both fish as i did not want to release these, meat seemed fine. could this be caused by the warm surface water they seem to be hanging in this summer, most of my fish are coming from 20 to 30 ft. this year.

Looks looks like you found the ticket Bob, if you want Salmon, fish Winni, not Squam. Last week you fished with me Saturday, no Salmon, but we got a few nice ones the next day with Forry and Russ. This weekend you fished with me Friday, no Salmon, but a nice big Bow (caught by the other guy) Saturday we were Squamed, Sunday we did get a real nice Salmon and a few small Bows while you were filling the boat on Winni.

I see you used the G2/Lead core method on the Stackers and it produced. Still working well for us but we are using the G2 Balls more than the stackers these days. But we f----- up Sunday, had the G2 Ball down 25 feet with 3 colors out, had the Digitrol set for 30 feet off the bottom, when we hit a 22' hump (not paying attention) So the Digitrol kept trying to come up 30 feet off the bottom, which was only 22'. Did not top stop while trying to get 30' off the bottom. Pretty sure we fried the clutch, trying to save flies from catching the humps. Have to send it back to Cannon, get it fixed and re-think that strategy.

Russ Johnson will lend me one of his Mag 10's while my Digitrol is being repaired, wont be the same, but we will be able to run 2 riggers and set that one real high, maybe 15' down and 4 colors of lead..

Will post a Squam weekend report later but the above pretty much tells it all.

Big John

Did you get your new G2 Boards in time for Sunday weekend and how was the Garage Sales Saturday with the bride..

Hey John. Bummer about the digitrol but nice to have a good enough friend to lend you his rigger. How could i miss on sun. i just copyed the way you fish. Yes the g2 boards showed up for the weekend as promised, but all fish came off g2 stackers. Only had one cluster, Mother took a 129 degree turn- sank one of the boards which promptly crossed our stearn and managed to ensnare all lines, 20 min. with clippers and new leader etc. put all back to normal, after a calm and resonable discussion it was explained to me this was due to a shallow hump, not marked on chart and not the two young guys fishing shirtless in an open boat she seemed very intent upon. I believe her rendition. Her redemtion came around 10 when she put us onto a double , one being the 5 lber The garage sale trip ended up being a pilgramidge to North conway outlet shops, Mother being able to live line a visa card thru most of the stores. Look forward to fishing with you again the next time The Barge needs some extra ballast. Bob F.

Bob F.
Hey John. Bummer about the digitrol but nice to have a good enough friend to lend you his rigger. How could i miss on sun. i just copyed the way you fish. Yes the g2 boards showed up for the weekend as promised, but all fish came off g2 stackers. Only had one cluster, Mother took a 129 degree turn- sank one of the boards which promptly crossed our stearn and managed to ensnare all lines, 20 min. with clippers and new leader etc. put all back to normal, after a calm and resonable discussion it was explained to me this was due to a shallow hump, not marked on chart and not the two young guys fishing shirtless in an open boat she seemed very intent upon. I believe her rendition. Her redemtion came around 10 when she put us onto a double , one being the 5 lber The garage sale trip ended up being a pilgramidge to North conway outlet shops, Mother being able to live line a visa card thru most of the stores. Look forward to fishing with you again the next time The Barge needs some extra ballast. Bob F.

Sending it out tomorrow back to Cannon, two week turn a round so it's a big favor Russ is doing for me. It was my lasp in judgment, now that I think about it, it was stupid to set it up that way, but I went for the optimum set up in lieu of the cost of a few lost streamers, live and learn.

Funny the way things go, we actually had a better bite off the G2 Balls on Sunday when the past few weeks the G2 Planer was HOT-HOT-HOT then the biggest fish of the weekend came off the Rod Pumper, only bite off it that day, I'll send you a photo ??????

Have fun the next two weekends at your camp, don't work too hard, I'll keep ya posted. Let me know when you get back and we'll get you out a few more times before the fat lady sings.

Big John