Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mon Nite Squam Rookie mini report

WOW, that was great action for Squam, I fish all weekend for that many bites and not many are Salmon or Bows.

Have you tried streamers, Sutton 44 is very speed demanding (slow) also pretty big, but as you can see from B Man's lunker, big bait don't scare small fish, lol.

Without a GPS I would stick with Streamers, speed is not that important with them.

Glad you enjoyed yourself,

Big John

Thanks John, Yes, based on your advice, I've tried streamers with and without a dodger and found them just as effective (particularly with a dodger) for Squam bass and perch. :-) darn it :-) Without electronics, I donated a few to the bottom and just didn't have any fly/dodger setups ready to go last night to click on to my swivel. Without the dodger, I like to tie it direct with no swivel (and also read here that a short line from the leadcore is best for more fly action). Anyway, since I already had ~50 feet of mono on the lead and swivels on, and not much time to spare, it was just quick and easy to go with the spoons. I put the trolling plate down and went as slow as possible. I was really just killing some time waiting on my pleasure boaters to arrive but was amazed that the lake seemed to wake up last night with my mixed bag in such short time. So, I wanted to share particularly after reading your last report. I plan to get more serious about fishing next spring ice out and hope to take an open seat on the Barge for my next lesson at that time. :-) Thanks for all the support!

Anytime you want to hop on, it will be my pleasure.

Big John

Didn't see you out there last night. I fished Squam from about 6:15 to 7:30. Finally got a nice salmon. Droped my rigger to 50 feet and got a nice hit. Got several more LDR.

Louis

Nice going on the salmon! Yeah, I didn't even have time to make it to my usual spots which I assume is where you would have been. I pretty much stayed close to the (wow even more shallow) channel, cotton cove to bowman and then rushed back for family time. Next time to find me: I'm the tall good looking guy playing rock n roll on the radio too loud.ha ha ha :-)