Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Predators/fish size/missing year classes, etc.

Triple D
If the otters are around the nets. There looking for a free meal. And if anything is eating the small salmon. It is more then likley otters. There are very fast swimmers. And they eat fish.But its hard to believe all the young salmon were eaten.The little salmon usually head for deep water. Which would make it hard for anything to catch them.

Thanks Tripl D, It's not benn determined yet if the 2010 stocking is in trouble yet, only speculation due to the lack of visability all season.

I agree Otters are fish eaters and if the young Salmon are down deep during the year, I'm not sure how deep an Otter can go or howlong thet can stay down. (Loons can certainly dive deep and stay for a long time) I doubt the Otters are the problem with missing year classes because normally the yearlings don't go near the nets or should I say shoreline. On the other hand the adult Salmon do swim the shoreline in the fall looking for streams, etc. perfect place for an Otter to nail them and even better if they are captive in the net.

On the other hand, the net is under 5 feet of water, if an Otter gets into the trap, he can't get out unless he eats his way out (not a problem) but again how long can he stay under water, maybe long enough to eat/kill one. Then he has to get back in the trap for the second course, probably not smart enough to enter the same hole he left from, so another holeor he swims the shoreline and gets guided into the trap again. Anyhow, soon the Salmon can also escape through the holes, if they are smart enough, which they are not.

We give all these animals and fish way too much credit for being smart, so an Otter gets into a net by mistake, same as a Salmon, but he gets a reward, but if he cant find his way out quick enough, his good living is cut short.

I'm confused now, ha,ha. I"m going to google Otter and see how long they can stay under water out of curiosity.

Big John

How many smallmouths are being brought up in the nets, John. Having fished for bass in Squam for 50 years, I have taken many more in deep water in recent years, often spitting up smelt. And also many trolling for salmon down to 50 feet where I don't remember encountering them so much years ago. I feel many are simply suspending out there and could be taking many of the first year fish, though maybe they are there mostly for the current abundance of smelt?

BeRightBack
How many smallmouths are being brought up in the nets, John. Having fished for bass in Squam for 50 years, I have taken many more in deep water in recent years, often spitting up smelt. And also many trolling for salmon down to 50 feet where I don't remember encountering them so much years ago. I feel many are simply suspending out there and could be taking many of the first year fish, though maybe they are there mostly for the current abundance of smelt?

Actually they don't get any Bass at all or if they do, they are small. I doubt the Bass can eat many yearling Salmon if they are decent/desired stock size, but as you say they surely eat Smelt ans W.
Perch. We experience Smallies at depths of 50 feet or so from time to time after they spawn and through the summer, some times more than others ??????????? Nature and food drives all these fish at differently throughout the year.

When the May flies are hatching all fish dine exclusively on them.

Big John

That's strange I haven't seen the cormorants. I certainly know what they look like, we have them in droves out here. They can dive up to 30 feet I hear and are considered eating machines.

I've caught Chain Pickerel in Squam and Little Squam, but never any Northern Pike. I have no data to backup this statement, but I doubt the culprit is pike or even chain pickerel for that matter. Hopefully the yearlings just did a better job than usual at staying out of sight.

i think the missing salmon were hiding with the smelt, smelt seemed to be located differently this year on my pond, the whole summer seemed different, more sun, less rain etc. i was finding smelt in really shallow water this year, almost no need for downriggers for me, towards the end i was leaving the downriggers off the boat and just sticking with 2 to 4 colors lead and maybe 150 to 200 feet of wire line. wasnt catching unless i was in shallow with the rocks losing flies. every year is different, where were all those big salmon hiding last year on winni when everyone was in a panic, they were there this year, didnt hear any bad winni reports