Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fly tying book

i dont know if there are any fly shops in your area, but a good shop will help people a night or two a week, its in there best interest to get you started. i believe someone here was doing beginner classes as well, maybe chappy? i was lucky, 20 or so years back in college there was a 2 credit class in tying, i could skip class if i went fishing LOL, i took canoeng too hahahaha they made me, omg lol

I found this book to be helpful.

Tying Classic Freshwater Streamers
by David Klausmeyer

Mike Martinek Jr. also has a DVD out called Hooked on Fly Tying Classic Maine Streamers.
I haven't seen the video but Mike is one of the most well known Rangeley style tyers out there today, so I am sure it is good.

Link
I found this book to be helpful.

Tying Classic Freshwater Streamers
by David Klausmeyer

Mike Martinek Jr. also has a DVD out called Hooked on Fly Tying Classic Maine Streamers.
I haven't seen the video but Mike is one of the most well known Rangeley style tyers out there today, so I am sure it is good.

havent seen his dvd but martinek does some things with the streamers to make them more fishy than streamers off the shelf, adds bulk underneath that fluffs out the sides adding some width to the fly from veiwing from below. he does classes as well, worth looking into after you can tie some basic flies

Thanks to all for the input I haven't heard of any classes in the area (Canaan) or close by,I have a book and materials on order.Anyone with more input keep it coming it's great.
BARRY

craft type stores have some good materials for fly tying and they are usually alot cheaper, things like a siler paint type marker and you can paint the white bucktail. cvs, pick up a bottle of sally hansen hard as nails with nylon added, good for coating the wraps and head

I have also heard the dollar stores after Christmas tinsel is always a good buy.BARRY

The Merrimack Trout Unlimited has a list of Fly Tying classes around the area.
Here are a few streamers that I tie for salmon.
A good source of fly tying material and possible knows of other fly tying classes, Stone River Outfitters.
An online streamer dictionary.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Gus

Thanks to everyone again all this info has been very helpful got my materials in the mail today hopefully the book will be here tomorrow and let the tying begin.It always amazes me (although it shouldn't) how helpful this site is people so willing to share.Thank you all very much!!!!
BARRY

Barry
I will put you on the list next year for duck feathers
Also, if you need a test dummy for your flies and streamers let me know
Still got to get out and see you - when do you want to make the run to Cabelas?

Ya the feathers would be great Bill and I'll make sure to tie up some special flies for you( now where did I put that fish repellent?) Don't know on the Cabelas trip it about 100 bucks an hour for me to walk around up there give me a call later.
BARRY

Barry, Working on a Sat. seminar.I'll keep you posted. This will be a fun tying session. You'll learn alot! Bobby

COOL!!!

Awesome flies Gus!
I see many "deadly" ones there.
Richard

Gus,

Great flies!! No wonder you out fish most of us!

Happy & Healthy 2011!

Hal

Our second DVD in the "Love Affair with Angling" series (with ice fishing pic of Yo-Adrien Lavoie and huge laker on the cover) also features the great streamer fly tying skills of Mike Martinek and Jim Warner from Wolfeboro tying the Winni Smelt. Also footate of Alan Nute and Chuck French tying streamers. It should be in the stores as well as on sale at Deepwaterspress.com

Coming back from Munich Germany to ice fish with sons and grand children on Feb 18-21. We'll be at my cottage on east bear. If out there stop by for a warm up or a snapps!

Petri Heil!

Hal Lyon