Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: lowrance HDS5

Hi Guys, thanks for the info. I'm also in the market. In your opinion, is the HDS5 worth the extra money as compared to the Elite 5X or even the Elite 5X-DSI? I'll spend the extra $50 bucks for the Navionices Premium HotMaps chip (1 foot contours) but can't seem to make up my mind on the unit itself. Basic internet product reviews claim the DSI doesn't really work very good in deep water (over 30 feet?). So, if that is true, then I guess I'm really trying to decide between the HDS5 to the Elite 5X. The retail price difference is about $150 between the two units. Does the Hi-Def really matter if one is using the chip anyway? Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Hammer,that was my thing too elite5 vs hds5 reading reviews that for a little more $ you get a better unit capable of more.That being said I don't need color or HD just what is out there now.
BARRY

HammerFish
Hi Guys, thanks for the info. I'm also in the market. In your opinion, is the HDS5 worth the extra money as compared to the Elite 5X or even the Elite 5X-DSI? I'll spend the extra $50 bucks for the Navionices Premium HotMaps chip (1 foot contours) but can't seem to make up my mind on the unit itself. Basic internet product reviews claim the DSI doesn't really work very good in deep water (over 30 feet?). So, if that is true, then I guess I'm really trying to decide between the HDS5 to the Elite 5X. The retail price difference is about $150 between the two units. Does the Hi-Def really matter if one is using the chip anyway? Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

A friend bough thye Elite, he returned it, one feature it did not have was adustable safety contour, I wouldn't be without that. There were a few other things I think, but I forget. Maybe he will respond here, jump on in Roger.

Big John

John, you run Lowrance on the Barge,any comment on customer service good or bad???
BARRY

jusgrinnin
John, you run Lowrance on the Barge,any comment on customer service good or bad???
BARRY

I can't comment on the new HD units except to say all the guys I know that run them love them. Over the years 90% of the issues I have had with any Lowrance units I had has been ducer related and not the unit itself, operator problems early on until I learned to use them better.. When I did have a problem with the unit, they took care of it no problem. They do offer upgrdades on units in for service if there is a problem with it, I sent one in once they couldn't find a problem (probably ducer again) but they offered me an upgrade at a decent price.

Customer service is toiugh to get on the phone, long waits, but once you get them they are very good.

I stuck with Lowrance over the years for two main resaons, easy to use, same basic meneu on all the units, cheap or high end and customer service.

I wish I could be more help on HD units, but no practical experience with them, the Elite is probably just as good as an entry level unit, but I do know it does not offer some important features I like.

One last reason I like Lowrance, Russ Johnson who fishes with me allot is the Lowrance Guru, he knows more than the customer service people from a practicle point of view.

Big John

Where are they selling the navionics for $99? What version is it, the premium? or the platinum?
Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,
$99 is only for the outdated model of the chip. New chips are $150. You may have to call around to find someone with the older chip (2009) but they are out there. Navionics will then upgrade you for $50 more to the newer chip (so the new chip is still $150 total cost...just you can "step" up to it).

I do like that the newer chip has 1 foot contours but, really, does 1 foot contour make a huge difference when trolling trout/salmon over deep water or even water over 20 ft? The big advantage is if you fish around New England a lot because the newer chip covers something like 7000 additional lakes and something like 500 more lakes in high def.

Ok, now I'm excited. I just pulled the trigger on an HDS-5 combo and also the premium hotmaps chip. It should arrive in a week or so. I just need the big snowbank to melt so I can get my boat out to install it. Shoot, more snow on the way. Darn it, I need to go fishing!!! I'm looking forward to the new world (to me) of electronics. For 1, I'll finally be able to know how fast I'm trolling... Next up on my list, G2's... Then a radio so I can buzz you and tell you that I'm still not catching anything in Squam. :-)

Hammer please post you likes and dislikes about the unit regularly,also where did you go to get it(best price)???
BARRY

MikeF-NH
Hi Steve,
$99 is only for the outdated model of the chip. New chips are $150. You may have to call around to find someone with the older chip (2009) but they are out there. Navionics will then upgrade you for $50 more to the newer chip (so the new chip is still $150 total cost...just you can "step" up to it).

I do like that the newer chip has 1 foot contours but, really, does 1 foot contour make a huge difference when trolling trout/salmon over deep water or even water over 20 ft? The big advantage is if you fish around New England a lot because the newer chip covers something like 7000 additional lakes and something like 500 more lakes in high def.

May not seem like 1' contours make much sense, didn't to me either, actually I thought it would make a lake like Squam's map real busy and hard to read. Just the opposite in fact, it increased my ability to fish many areas of the lake before thought to be too difficult. I'd say doubled the fishing area and that says allot for a lake like Squam with more humps and bumps than Carters got Little Liver pills. It "doesn't show every foot", just instead of jumping from 20 to 40 it might have several lines in between the 20 and 40, like 23, 27, 30, 34, etc. wherever it makes sense by what zoom scale you are using.

Not sure what other NH big lakes are high def on the newer versions, but Squam is high def from 2008 versions and newer, if the newer chips have Sunapee and Winnisquam, or whatever lake you fish, go for it.

High definition, color unit with safety contures is like night and day on most lakes over older technology.

Big John

Just got the new chip, $133.00 shipping included

http://www.ultimatepassage.com/cgi-bin/up/37627.html

mine was on cf card for the same price. Nice people (Lisa) had it in 3 days