Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2011 1st Troll; Monster Fish!

Yes, thats right, I trolled... from my kayak anyway on the Pemi. Caught 1st fish of season: a monster 8-10lb Pickerel. Boooooo. Actually, it was good fun to get out and I still have all my fingers. :-)

Re: 2011 1st Troll; Monster Fish!

That's one monster of a pickerel!

Salty

Any pics? That's a monster. Any chance it was a pike? Either way, must have been a heck of a fight.

8 to 10 pound pickeral? Wouldn't that be a new state record? I too am wondering if it could've been a pike, if not thats a Huge Pickeral. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

Yeah, maybe it was a Northern Pike? I don't really know the difference as it is not my target species. I had fun bringing him along side the kayak and then just wanted my lure back without getting chomped. It was a big one. He wouldn't fit in my little net so I scooped him up under the belly and carefully got the lure out with my neoprene gloved hand. This thing couldv'e eaten my cat. :-)

How long was this fish? Using an oldtime formula for calculating length from weight and weight from length, and from my years of fishing large Northern Pike in Canada, i can tell you that a 10 pound Pike would be close to 33 inches long.
ROBBIE

Good to know. My arm is over 2 feet long (I'm over 6 feet tall) and, relative to that, I estimated this fish to probably be a little over 30 inches. If I was in my Lund, I'd have all the tools to measure and weigh but I was just in my little kayak with barely enough room for my large frame. :-) But, it sounds like I'm pretty close. So, I stand by my sizing. Thanks, I think I'll bring a camera next time just in case.