Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
downrigger cables

does anyone use the non-steel cables on their downriggers? any Pros or Cons?

http://www.coldwatertackle.com/power-pro-downrigger-cable

Re: downrigger cables

I put one on last year. It makes a world of difference. No high pitch noise from the cable. If you have electric downriggers, you can not use them.

To me they are great.

Louis

why can't you use it on electric downriggers?

That is what I have been told, but it may be you cannot use it if you have a temp probe. Others may have better information.

Louis

Forry, I would recommend against using anything but steel. I tried some a few years ago and yes, they do cut down on the dreaded steel line hum, but it is very weak. If you fish near the bottom, you are going to get hung and lose rigger balls. I lost about 4 balls and gave up.

My cannon mag ten use the steel cable to complete the ground path down to the water back to the hull.When your coming back up and the cable insulator breaks the waters surface the ground is interupted and it stops.I think if I changed to a non steel cable I would have to keep my hand on the switch up and down.polebreaker

Polebreakers right. You need steel on the electronic so they will stop when the ball comes out of the water. At least on the Cannons. I had the non steel on my manuals. Really liked how quiet they were but I wouldn't advise fishing near the bottom. They break easier than steel.
Dave S (Finaddiction)