Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
swivel clips versus direct tye question

Do you guys run them or not? It seems simple open clip put new lure on mostly fishing winni and winnnisquam for trout /salmon thanks Dave

Re: swivel clips versus direct tye question

I know guys who use the swivels and catch plenty of fish. I however like to tie my baits on by hand. I like the way they lures and or flies run when I do this. I have tried both but always go back to the tie method.

Cool Water

Some folks are fast and tie great knots, I;m not one of them. We use duo locks for spoons when we use them, I try to tie one good knot with a Dua Lock and forget about it, just change spoons.

As far as streamers go we tie them on, all with Rapala Knots, gives the streamer some room for more action on the pumpers or jiggers, we give em a good yank to make sure each knot is good.

I don't think the fish give a hoot what we do or what kind of line we use for that matter either, but your line and knot are the only thing between you and the fish. As we dont cast for our type of fishing, I go with heavier line and leader than most, last year we ended the season with 15# Seaguar AbrazX main line and 10# Seaguar leader so we could get em in the boat faster.

This year we cut back to 12# and 8# leader (both Seaguar) with this we feel we can get the fish to the boat quicker without fear of our line snapping.

Better for the Salmon to have a shorter battle and get em back in the water quickly, especially when the water warms up later.

In order of importance for me:
1) line and leader quality
2) reel quality
3) rod (any old rod will do as long as you get the action you want, if any corners are to be cut, we do it with the rods) Can't find much cheaper or more reliable rod than Eagle Claw Starfire.

Big John
"Who's covered The Barge back up, all cleaned up and ready to go fishing or to it's new owner" whichever comes first.

I pretty much run what John runs. I use to run sampo #1 ss welded ring coastlock swivels and that worked fine. I think the duolock snaps provide better movement for the spoon however. Just make sure you have a power swivel where you connect the fluorocarbon leader to your mail line. Otherwise you'll get line twist. I take the split rings (non hook side obviously) off all my spoons. If I was tying direct, I'd leave them on or add them. I use a palomar knot from the fluorocarbon to the snap or swivel.

I've tried different knots with the streamers, but the rapala knot is easy to tie and seems to allow better movement.

Tom (from Michigan)
I pretty much run what John runs. I use to run sampo #1 ss welded ring coastlock swivels and that worked fine. I think the duolock snaps provide better movement for the spoon however. Just make sure you have a power swivel where you connect the fluorocarbon leader to your mail line. Otherwise you'll get line twist. I take the split rings (non hook side obviously) off all my spoons. If I was tying direct, I'd leave them on or add them. I use a palomar knot from the fluorocarbon to the snap or swivel.

I've tried different knots with the streamers, but the rapala knot is easy to tie and seems to allow better movement.

I forgot to mention about the split ring removal, this must be very popular as most spoons you buy now from the great lakes area come with only 1 split ring for the hook, other end no hook ring.

Big John

rapala knot, on both flies and lures. i slip the rapala loop on and off the split rings on the db's and dont retie unless it looks damaged, very fast, about once or twice a year a lure will slip off on its own but its usually a defective ring and i was too lazy to change it.

Why do you remove the split ring ??