Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1st troll; new toy (HDS5) questions

Went for 1st troll last night out of cntr hrbr mostly learning my new toy: HDS5 GPS/Sonar. The GPS is awesome for speed, location, etc and very easy to use. I did not seem to mark any fish on the sonar, however (and didn't catch any either). Water temp per sonar was 34 degrees, brrrrrrr. Questions: Do you guys go with 200 or 83 frequency? Which fishing mode do you use (general, shallow water <100ft)? Noise rejection setting (high, low)? Surface clarity setting? I was surprised not to mark any fish but, then again, I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at and not sure if my settings are ideal. I did seem to mark bait pods or otherwise brush on the bottom, not sure... I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Re: 1st troll; new toy (HDS5) questions

I hope you like this unit I upgrading to the same this year so your info will be very vauleable, as for not marking any fish could it be the'er too high in the water colum to see ie out of the cone???
BARRY

I left my hds5 at factory defaults and can mark my downrigger balls and also mark fish but have not seen any obvious bait balls with it. Note that salmon will be very close to the surface right now so your "cone" will be very narrow and the salmon basically will be licking your lower unit to see it.

I would expect that you should pick up lakers and smallies that are lower in the water column.

Have you tried the structure scan?

Thanks Guys, Yeah I thought about the fish being higher this time of year. The first 5-10 feet was all 'noise' for me depending on my particular settings. Also, I don't think mine has the structure scanning, I think that is the step up from the HDS. Anyway, I suppose I can play with the different fishing modes and noise, clarity settings but do you guys prefer the 83 or the 200 kHz? I had it on 200 by default but thinking 83 is the way to go? I was also expecting to see my lead core lines but didn't. Perhaps this was because I was on the 200 frequency? In any event, being new to sonar/gps, I am amazed at what I was missing. You gotta have it. :-)

I've been running the unit for 2 years now and love it. Can't remember my settings but will be putting the boat in tomorrow or Friday so can check it out then. As for the structure scan that is another unit you attach to it. Put it on my boat last year. Really cool what you can see for structure below. The only problem I have with it is I want a bigger screen now. Oh well there's always another toy.
Dave S (Finaddiction

Hammer did you get the Navonics package or just the base map???
BARRY

Cool, will put the structure scan on my wish list. Yes, I got the navionics premium (2D) hotmaps chip. Lot's of useful detail to target spots and stay out of trouble. Maybe I'll actually catch more than 1 salmon or bow this year :-)

HammerFish
Thanks Guys, Yeah I thought about the fish being higher this time of year. The first 5-10 feet was all 'noise' for me depending on my particular settings. Also, I don't think mine has the structure scanning, I think that is the step up from the HDS. Anyway, I suppose I can play with the different fishing modes and noise, clarity settings but do you guys prefer the 83 or the 200 kHz? I had it on 200 by default but thinking 83 is the way to go? I was also expecting to see my lead core lines but didn't. Perhaps this was because I was on the 200 frequency? In any event, being new to sonar/gps, I am amazed at what I was missing. You gotta have it. :-)

I run 2 different sonars on my boat one in the front for the driver and one in the back for the guy watching the lines.I use one on one setting and one on the other,this prevents interference between the 2 units.I don't notice any difference on winni between the 2.It is a great tool.Do you have the navionics chip with it?polebreaker