Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Splitting the fuel line for a main motor and a kicker

I discussed doing the same thing on my boat and my marina recommended using a valve to switch between engines so only one is active at a time. They said a straight T can be troublesome. That's my 2 cents worth.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I originally had a switch valve and it was a PITA because I would forget when going from one engine to the other to switch and would run out of gas. For the past 8 yrs, I’ve been running with a “T” and have no problems. I can run both engines at the same time to warm them up at this time of the year.
Scott, I think you need to put on the clamps on to stop sucking air, or you may have a faulty bulb valve, the bulbs should be in an upward position as shown by the fuel flow arrow for the shut off valve in the bulb works properly.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gus

I got it working guys, thanks for all the advice. I resecured all the connections, and then primed the bulb and that seemed to do the trick. Still unsure why it wasnt working in the first place, but on to the next problem, when it arises. :-)

-Scott

You will want to put shutoff valves on each line running to engines or you'll suck air from the engine not in use, a pair of needle nose vise grips lightly clamped to fuel line will do the trick and get you fishing till you can get a proper set up. A remotely mounted fuel filter/water separator would alow you to bring one line in and two lines out also you can put your valves coming out of it. you will want the primer bulbs on each line out of filter to engine.

I have run split lines without valves or anything else for 17-18 years. No problems. I run them out of a spin on fuel water separator. Not to be a wise guy, but please check that the bulb is actually creating suction on the end you want it to. Out the end of it on your thumb, then squeeze it with the other hand, If it doesn't try to latch onto your thumb, there is an issue. If it tries to blow your thumb off, then the bulb is going the wrong direction.
My .02

LOL It was the first thing I checked! :-)

Thanks again guys it is working now!!

Now to solder the darn connector for the new antennae...why cant anything be easy?? LOL