Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Friday report

Met partner at the dock and dressed ultra warm as it was only 24 degrees with a 15 mph wind. Left dock at first light and had 4 lines out before sunrise. Within minutes, first salmon of the year. Nice healthy 18 inch fish. Few minutes later partner lands a very fat 21 inch fish. Had steady action at this location for an hour and caught several more including a few over 22. All fish were FAT and healthy. No hook wounds or skinny fish and no rats.

We moved to a different spot not because the fishing slowed but just to not hammer the spot plus it settled down and got very nice and smooth with just a slight salmon chop so we felt adventurous. The second spot produced 3 more on the first pass and my partner was out of time (work commitments).

Dropped him at the dock, refueled and went "exploring". First went to our "Derby camp" as it is a new place and I wanted to make sure I could find it and mark it on my GPS before the derby. Then went to an old favorite spot and within a few minutes I had doubles on (doubles when you are in the boat by yourself is quite the sight...talk about a "one armed coat hanger). I got the 19 inch salmon off and back in quickly because the second fish was pulling my board under like it was a bobber. Turned out to be my first laker of the year and a nice 24 inch fat fish at that!

This place was clearly on fire but I was in explore mode and wanted to check as many places as possible as this is probably my only trip before the derby. Moved to another old favorite and caught 2 more fish within 1/2 hour so I moved to my last spot and scored there also.

Went back to my first spot as it was getting to be late afternoon and getting cold again and I didn't want to run the Broads at last light by myself in near freezing conditions. Only trolled to original spot for about an hour but nothing was hitting so I called it a day (cold and hungry).

Great day on the Lake! Beautiful weather, eagles, loons, ducks and geese all paid visits. Checked out a lot of the lake and found no floating ice anywhere. Watch out for debris...fair amount of floating drift wood around. Caught fish everywhere and on all colors I tried (it was a "metal" day). My replacement leadcore rods worked very well but are a bit long for me but will do for the rest of the year. Had some trouble with my Chamberlains and had to do some tweaking but that is what this trip was about. I also had a large female dump 1/4 cup of eggs on my deck which is a first for me. I thought they spawned in the fall...are these left over eggs?????

Good to see the fish in great condition. Eating well, no hook wounds, most fish were over 20 inches.

Re: Friday report

Mike, sounds like everyone should follow you around during the Derby, looks like you got it dialed in pretty good. What kind of a boat ya got, put a white flag up with the words "follow me". Only kiddin ya, sounds like you had a great day.

I like 7 to 7.5 footers when alone, 8 and 9 is fine if ya got a net man, depends on the boat I guess, I have short arms and legs but a wide girth, makes a long rod tough.. Whatever length I like a real noodle rod, light action.

This year I'm trying a few Ugly Sticks, the lightest they had still seems a little stiffer than I like, but have a lighter action the last 2 feet might be just right, haven't used em yet. I think they are 7' maybe 7.5' I forget ????? May use all Ugly Sticks for Florida if I like them, can't miss them as all my other rods are the Yellow Eagle Claw Starfires, love em.

Big John

Re: Friday report

I had been using a couple of light striper rods I bought (for stripers) about 6 years ago. They had enough backbone to pull the inline planers but were a little stiff for my liking. I had to compromise between enough backbone to pull the boards and enough sensitivity to enjoy the fish. The first rods went too far to the backbone side.

Well both those rods didn't make it through the winter (another story) so I converted a couple of rods I was using on downriggers. One was a 7.5 or 8 footer which was a LITTLE stiff for DRs but I had used it fine for years so I gave it a shot. The second was an Ugly stick that was 6.5 foot and seems a better fit for both strength and sensitivity and I think this is the best I've had so far. I was using this rod also for DRs and it was a good DR rod...now it's a great leadcore rod.

I imagine one of my crew will eventually break that first rod as it is too long to reach without bending unless you are careful and many will bend that last 6 inches until "snap". When it happens, I will move my other Ugly stick to a leadcore role and by and Eagle claw for my DRs.

I have a fly rod also but I didn't put it out yesterday. I also have two reels "waiting" for rods but I'm hoping to win a rod at the derby so I'm holding off (too confident? I didn't say anything about winning the boat!)

I do feel dialed in though. Everything is running well...I wish I had time for another trip or two before the derby but Boy Scout camping trip and youth turkey season have the next week ends conumed...of course if my boy scores his bird on day 1...then we can celebrate with turkey sandwiches on the water on Sunday!!!