Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FF/GPS

I have narrowed my choices down to the Garmin 431s or the Lowrance elite 5 both are in my $ range but the more research I do the more confused I get. Anyone running these units that have feedback please feel free to chime in, other suggestions are welcome as well.
BARRY

Re: FF/GPS

Barry Does the Garmin use the Navionics chip? or does Garmin have it's own detailed maps?

Garmin use their own maps, I took a look at them on their site today pretty cool, cheaper than navionics too by about $100.00.
BARRY

Barry I have a Garmin with their Blue Chart chip for the Gulf of Maine and it is very good. But when I bought mine they didn,t have anything for our lakes and I,ve wished I,d got a Lowrance for the Navionics. But sounds like maby they,ve come around. Cal P.

jusgrinnin
Garmin use their own maps, I took a look at them on their site today pretty cool, cheaper than navionics too by about $100.00.
BARRY

Navionics Premium East or Hot Maps east, is only 99.00 now and looks great, Old Fisherman just bought one, looks fine for Squam with 1' contours, but I'd check the lakes you want.

Depends what lake you are on, Squam's Garmin map is/was only 10' contours, I dont think it is as good for maybe Sunapee and Newfound, Winni might be OK. Garmin will not accept Navionics chips. The Elite does not offer safety contours I'm pretty sure, I find them very useful. Roger (Fishin Squam Again) had a Garmin, upgraded to the Elite and returned it for an HD5 I think, maybe he will chime in.

If cost is a consideration and it usually is for most of us, I'd look on E Bay, people change fish finders more than you cab imagine, especially Bass guys, one new feature and they trash the old units in a heartbeat, may be only a year old or less, and they always buy at least two.

I don't know what you have now, but I'd look on E Bay for a used HD5 or a LMS 520 series, I run two 520's and love them as I know my way around them pretty good now, if I get stumped Russ Johnson is the resident Lowrance Guru. I'd rather have a good used one that's proven over a newer model that may actually be a step down in some cases..

The LMS 520 series still go from 300 to high 400's, (when new 750.00) the Lowrance hold the value pretty good. But I'd do a little more research on the Elite, I don't think it's what the name implies, ha-ha, but it may be perfect for some peoples needs.

Allot of new boats put in FF/GPS units now and they are great for boaters, but not for fisherman so these guys move them on e bay, buyer beware.

If you buy a used unit on E bay, make sure you get the complete set up, including brackets. That stuff can be bought from allot of after market places but pricey, Lowrance knobs 30.00 for a pair. I have a few web sites that sell that stuff.

Another thing, make sure you have the same color cable connectors if you are going from Lowrance to Lowrance. Newer Lowrance use Blue connectors and the same cables can be used for most any Lowrance units including ducers. Some Lowrance units require a red connector cable adapter for external GPS. By the way, internal GPS antennas seem to be fine, I don't know if you can even get an external one anymore. If the external GPS module fails, they cost 250.00. I have external and wish now that I had internal.

Confused yet ???

The newer technology is great but expensive, wish I could go that way someday. My LMS 520c's are very adequate, great color and screen and visuals no need to upgrade for my new boat, so I went with the Raymarine Auto Pilot instead.

Good luck,

Big John
Who will be boatless the end of next week waiting for my new ride, this will be the first Memorial Day weekend I didn't spend on the water, but I have plenty to do at home. Once the new boat comes in, I doubt I'll be home much.

jusgrinnin
I have narrowed my choices down to the Garmin 431s or the Lowrance elite 5 both are in my $ range but the more research I do the more confused I get. Anyone running these units that have feedback please feel free to chime in, other suggestions are welcome as well.
BARRY

Barry,

Cabelas Bargain Cave has not Maps East, I think it might have all the lakes you need in high def, but call Navionics and ask, they are in Mass (down the cape)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boating-Electronics/Lake-Map-Software%7C/pc/104794380/c/104707080/sc/104425380/Navionics-HotMaps-2010/735133.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-boating-electronics-lake-map-software%2Ffishing-hot-spots%2F_%2FN-1100520%3FWT.tsrc%3DRMKT%26WT.mc_id%3DNMBrandMsgBoating%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D371800724467274975&WTz_l=RMKT%3Bcat104425380

WOW, that's some link, ha-ha, 99.00 in the Bargain Cave

Thanks John, Confused isn't the word for it remember the movie Carrie well her head just spun around mine just exploded. I checked 520s (discontinued) replaced by Hds5 even ebay are in the 700 range the more I researce the less I know. I have HB565 b&w and an older gps unit (HB) that I've never got to work right but for speed and direction.As far as mapping goes winn,newfound,squam winersquam,and the ct.lakes are important but also something I can add to later if a trip yo the great lakes pops up along with a new boat.Sorry to drag on and on but I don't want to make 5,6,700 dollar mistake.Thanks for you imput BARRY

I just got a Humminbird 788ci HD Combo, and it is great. Because of the location where the unit is mounted, I had to go with a Humminbird again.
I did get the Navionic Hot map East , but when John and I were looking at the GPS, we didn't look at the deliniation. It is 3 feet and not 1 foot. For Squam. I think three feet is better, otherwise, the screen would be full of lines. But I will check with Navionics to see if it is suppose to be one foot.

Louis

Just to confuse you more I just bought a Raymarine and absolutely love it, uses the navionics. Check them out Barry!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom line they all have thier good points and bad points. You just have to go with the one that you can feel comfortable about. I feel everyone kinda likes thier own models in the area and they think you would be happy with the model they have and that is fine, but I would do more research and go to a forum where you know no one and just read what they have to say about the different makes as well. You also may want to go to consumers reports and see if they have any feed back. I wish you luck in finding the one that fits your needs.

forry
Bottom line they all have thier good points and bad points. You just have to go with the one that you can feel comfortable about. I feel everyone kinda likes thier own models in the area and they think you would be happy with the model they have and that is fine, but I would do more research and go to a forum where you know no one and just read what they have to say about the different makes as well. You also may want to go to consumers reports and see if they have any feed back. I wish you luck in finding the one that fits your needs.

Forry is right (for once, only teaing) I swear by Lowrance because it works for me and the menus are about the same and I know my way around them, the HD units have a different menu so myself]f Id never buy one unless I really had to.So there ya go, I wont switch within the same brand, ha-ha. every one likes what they have, what you need to find is someone who doesn't like what they bought.

I sent you another e mail in private, more on contours and safety contours. In my case between the 1' and safety contour, i increased my fishing area safely by at least 50% in Squam, that says allot.

Big John

The old fisherman
I just got a Humminbird 788ci HD Combo, and it is great. Because of the location where the unit is mounted, I had to go with a Humminbird again.
I did get the Navionic Hot map East , but when John and I were looking at the GPS, we didn't look at the deliniation. It is 3 feet and not 1 foot. For Squam. I think three feet is better, otherwise, the screen would be full of lines. But I will check with Navionics to see if it is suppose to be one foot.
Louis

Lou look closer, on the Lowrance 1' does not show every foot, it may be 2 or 3 feet in one area and 5 or 6 in another and depends on what zoom setting your using too, but if you look close you will find maybe 1'. If they showed 1' the whole lake it would be all lines, they did it right.

If it stops raining, I'll check it out.
I agree that the three feet makes more sence for Squam.
Louis

FWIW, Real pricey but I was looking at the Humminbird 898c SI.

The Side imaging looks to open up a whole new world. That & the dual beam transducer.
http://store.humminbird.com/products/341721/898c_SI_Combo

Ya I know, and if money was no object I'd be looking at different units. As it is I went out of my comfort zone and made an offer on HB 788c.
BARRY

You can't take it with you when you go. and weather you have it when you go or not your still going. so live now! and remember you are a long time DEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't want to take any with me besides Obama would try to his hands on that too!!!
BARRY

Barry, check your email.