Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: change oil in axle

are you dunking the rear axle when you launch your boat? i'm thinking not... my rear tires hardly ever touch the water let alone the axle.

simple job to do yourself. drain and fill.

My regular launch is real shallow so its not dunked but when its wavy it definetly gets wet. Sounds easy to check and would be a good idea just in case. Thanks.

if you are submersing the rear end you might pick up some water, easy to pull the fill plug stick in a finger or whatever and look to see if the gear oil is milky colored if so change it if not your good to go. rear end oil should be changed every 100k or so

at most i might check it like has been said, but i used to take my trucks off road alot and always had it submerged, never had an axle go that way. my older truck had a breather on a hose, look and see if yours does, you want that as high as possible

if its a toyota i would check it because it has a breather on the top of the axle on left side just to be sure easy preventive maintance and if your towning alot it doesnt hurt to change it check your factory schuedule maintance for your vehicle should tell you when to change it for towing

It is a yota I will look for that breather thanks!

also, if those breathers get clogged they can cause axle shaft seal leaks. you'll see differential fluid starting to seep out behind the brakes. just an fyi...