Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squam is contaminated

https://pages.pagesuite.com/6/8/68f84362-8006-4fca-8bd2-b1417e1080c2/page.pdf

Great, this is the lake I’m on. I’m on Winni till Memorial Day, then Squam for the season. Has anyone seen this report that was in the Laconia Sun 3/31?

Re: Squam is contaminated

I saw it and was surprised at the high levels. Wonder how it got in that body of Water.

It's a sad fact our entire eco system's tainted. If we only knew the amount of toxin's pass through us every day. Another high toxin spot is the Suncook river drainage. Growing up in the coastal region I witnessed all the Eel grass disappear from Cocheeco, Bellamy, Great bay, Oyster rivers, etc..... :-( That was from all the waste of dye's from the shoe shops, sewage treatment plants. To this day Winter Flounder won't spawn there anymore. Apparently our treated sewage water's not even close to being clean. Very discouraging. Capt. Bob

Heard its from a nearby landfill liner failure near kesumpe pond or interval pond, in that area. sad news

Thanks for the info Wayne. It is there forever now. Sad

I noticed the fish consumption guide at the boat launch on squam still says 4 meals per month. Not sure if that's still accurate or F+G just didn't bother to post a new notice

I was on a Zoom meeting the other day with Plymouth state, state environmental people, etc. about the contamination of Squam. There was a chart, (don’t know how to post a picture) it read an adult and children >7 can only consume (3) 8oz filets a year because of the PCB’s.

The 4 meals a month, are the guidelines for mercury levels (non cancer causing). PCB’s are cancer causing, therefore (3) 8oz filets a year for adult and >7yo.