Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Today I caught something that I wished I didn't...

Sounds like you got off easy if you ask me. Can't tell you how much gear I have lost in order to get some clue as to how not to. Takes time, but you have the perfect resource. Now that you have developed a young fishaholic, she will run interference for you with your S/O, and you can get out much more often!!

Tight lines!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The bottom of lake Winni using my leadcore and brand new lure. Now, tell me what is worst than losing your new db smelt lure, entire leader, on the 1st set of the day? Doing that with all two of the rods I put out at the same time... Got a lesson this morning in trolling. It was about a $10 lesson but yep, I'm learning.

Was an unplanned trip with a late start. I wanted to take my 13 year old daughter out. You see that "take me fishing" ad and are out of day passes for the wife to let you get out for a day. It worked. I'm going to tape the ad, replay it tonight for the wife, and to try to get another pass for a short trip tomorrow with my son. :)

It was funny because she was really excited after we set the lines out (we were in 50 fow at the time) then instantly both rods went off. I can get just as excited as anyone but had serious doubts and instantly looked at the sonar suspiciously to see that we were in 20 fow at 6 colors. Lost both and they were new colors for me that I really wanted to try today.

OK, on my way home I bought 3 of each color out of anger to make up for it. :) I also bought a couple others to add to the warm and fuzzy fealing of being overloaded with tackle.

Oh ya, my daughter boated two runt salmon on 6 colors using a top gun and one on a sutton spoon. She was happy that she caught her 1st salmon today no matter how big it was. We had 2 other really nice hits that made the reels screem over 90 fow near a hole but lost both. Probably from the wake of the boat traffic making the reeling in unsteady.

Some real boneheads out there today. Watched a dumbnut out there circling around diver down flag curiously. It looked like he was getting close so I could not tell if he was with the diver or not but when he was not slowing down I yelled out to him to watch out for the diver just in case. He looked at me kind of stupid and then left. A few minutes later I saw another boat approach whiched was the diving boat.

We don't need a speed limit, we need an IQ test.

Brian

Re: Re: Today I caught something that I wished I didn't...

I agree you got off lucky... I had a very close call a few weeks ago on my boat. I was trying to "outsmart" the fish and try doing some "S" turns on the back side of Rattlesnake... Yup, turned a bit too close to the island and found a hump. I had all four downriggers jumping up and down from the balls jerking through the rocks... I ran back and flipped them all up just in time to only lose the back half of a dave davies spinner rig. Phew!
I have to give my boat the "Adrien" treatment. Put downrigger toggles right on the steering helm! Another idea stolen from the YoA... hehe.