Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Moosehead Lake

I can remember lake winny when it was as you discribedMoosehead.Back in the early 50"s we camped on Big Bear and even at the bridge on Long Island. fish the broads side Long Island when all you could see was one old farm house high up on that entire shore Lakers were as thick as leafs on the trees No salmon to speak of those days but the fishing was great.Arr!!!! those were the days.

Re: Moosehead Lake

Salmonoid: where were you fishing on Moosehead? I'm heading up there for two weeks in August, counting the days. I spent a lot of time last year trolling a big drop off along a sand bar that runs from Deer Is. to Hogback Is. Made a couple trips to Kineo and caught a lot of small lakers in the hole. Also found a great spot off the mouth of the Moose river; with only two lines out had doubles (Salmon) twice near the river, nice fish all 18 - 20 in.

Eric H.

Re: Re: Moosehead Lake

Well, I am more than willing to share my holes, that is as long as you can shoot me a coupld of emails re: your holes on Winny, still being a newbie. But without cost, I could almost not keep a line in the water on the east side of Moose with the lady bug.

Did most of the big ones with great action though in the whole bay formed between Deer and Sugar, all the way to Burnt Jacket and back. Most action close to the North East of Deer. Did still catch some on the south west edge of Burnt Jacket, not in the bay of course, gets very shallow at the tip so beware. Didn't have anywhere near the same luck at the base of Kinneo that I have had past years, but stuff changes. And I used to do very well north of the Moose on the west shore, but didn't fish it yet this year. Have to let me know how you do, will be going up often this year. Tight lines, catch and release always!!! And if you like, could send you some of the best laker fishing holes in the Northeast!!

Re: Re: Re: Moosehead Lake

Salmanoid - sounds like a lot of the same spots I hit last summer. I only fished the big bay in between Deer and Sugar one day. I bought land on a small is. in Lily Bay so I'll be working all around Sugar this summer. Most of the time last year I went back and forth between Deer and Hogback. Only found the Kineo and Moose spots the last day or two of a two week trip. I found the same spot (I think) on the west shore just N of the Moose R. Wham, lots of fat salmon in real shallow water. I thought I had bottom but I had doubles (with only 2 lines out!). Near Kineo, I went "inside" where the 200+ hole is and got real close -- like 30-ft -- from the rock face. Tons of the smaller 14-18 in range togue -- the size F&G want cleaned out -- hold tight to the debris / rock pile that slopes into the water at the base of the cliff. You're in 75 ft of water and feel like you could touch the rock. I was using lead core and could only get so close. Many times that I would pass close to the cliff I'd hook a small togue. I'd go round and round and keep picking them off. The two days I fished that way I got my 5 togue limit in a couple hours or less. Smoked a lot of it, yummy.

I'm actually kind of new to trolling Winni. I had only had smallmouth experience (and a couple lucky, but big salmon on helgrammites) until last year when I got a bigger boat. Spent more time on Moosehead than Winni too since I got the boat, but I dream of Winni all the time. I'd follow the posts of people like Salty, Salmonitis, YoAdrien, Popeye and other experienced Winni guys. The one spot I can share that I'm going to try and hit is the deep hole between Brown's marina and Bear Is. Real good launch at Browns too. -Eric

Re: Re: Re: Re: Moosehead Lake

Hey Eric, We have a house in Lily Bay on the water it is the set of camps between donut cove and and the big metal shed, it's great place to be. won't make it up this summer farm is all goofy first time in a lot of years things have been this goofy. definately miss it. southern tip and southeast corners of deer island are good spots for me and the north end of sugar when there has been a north wind for a while they stack up on that shoal there and the broads are empty. also the notheast and northwest sides of sugar are graet trolls. between moose river and outside of kineo are good spots too. i go inside sometimes and it is okay there too.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moosehead Lake

Greatly appreciate the direction, YO. To have a house on the water in Moosehead, well that is dreamy for sure. My Bro in laws is on one of the "Walls" in Greenville, so the sunsets r to die for and the scenery is always #1, but not on the water. Will keep these spots in mind, doing another week up there myself first of August.

Thanks, tight lines!! Hope to c u there Eric

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hey Eric, We have a house in Lily Bay on the water it is the set of camps between donut cove and and the big metal shed, it's great place to be. won't make it up this summer farm is all goofy first time in a lot of years things have been this goofy. definately miss it. southern tip and southeast corners of deer island are good spots for me and the north end of sugar when there has been a north wind for a while they stack up on that shoal there and the broads are empty. also the notheast and northwest sides of sugar are graet trolls. between moose river and outside of kineo are good spots too. i go inside sometimes and it is okay there too.