Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Downrigger question

I'm a little new to 'riggers having relied on leadcore the last year or two. Got a couple Canon Mag 10's set up and working well now that I had the shake down cruise down here in NY but my question is on setting the drag on the rods themselves. Do most people set a really tight drag and hope you'll hook the fish when the release and rod pops or what? I'm starting to get the hang of getting the tension on the canon releases working right but I am still a little unsure on setting the drag on the spinning reels for riggers. I'd like to hear any and all opinions. - Eric H.

Re: Downrigger question

I set them just tight enough to hold the tension on the release and have the rod bent over. If you get a big one you want him to to be able to run once the slack is gone. If the drag is to tight you will snap him off.

Re: Re: Downrigger question

Thanks Proline -- so in other words more or less a normal drag rather than tighter?

I normally don't set my drag too tight for salmonids 'cause they have weak mouths relative to bass, which of course you can horse in on 20-lb test, smack on the head, drive over it and then still release it where it will hit 5 min. later...

-Eric H.