Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
downrigger rod line size

how heavey a mono do you use for line on your down rigger rods and do you drop down a line size for the tippets. got my new fishlander electric this last week to replace my old manual and really want to start catching some fish with it. the setup i have now is 20 pound mono with 4 pounds short tippet using
roemer releases.would it be better to drop to something like 8 pounds or is that too light for a downrigger setup

Re: downrigger rod line size

6 lb for me. Works fine. occasionally dropping to a short 4lb tippet as you call it.

Re: Re: downrigger rod line size

Depends on whether you use a flasher / dodger or other attractor before the lure. I'm using little dakota-blade and bead attractors about 18-24" ahead of the lure. I run 8 or 10-lb. test to the attractor and the same off as a leader between the attractor and lure. Lighter line can get twisted to hell (even with swivels) and/or snapped off if a big fish hits and pulls. If you don't use an attractor you could probably get away with 6 lb. I don't go lighter than 6 lb. for fishing depths...

Re: Re: Re: downrigger rod line size

I use 10 pound superbraid with a small swivel then up to 100ft of berkley vanish leader , and let out all the leader up to the swivel and attach the leader 2feet from the swivel on to my blacks releases. works great for me . "reel it in "