Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hey Slipknot downriggers are for salt water

I fish out in front of Plumb Island for blues with my downriggers all the time.I use shallow running rapala's & Yozuri's set back about 150'.Most of my baits run 4-8' below the ball that way.Works for me.However the one thing that can ruin your day is all the lobster bouys.I use A Big Jon captians model
and I make the boom as short as possible to keep my stuff as close to the boat as I can.You still have to be carefull though.I think its worth the hassel.I've had too many days where you see the fish at 60' on the graph and you cant reach them with the deep divers.
Good luck & tight lines.
Im'in

Re: Hey Slipknot downriggers are for salt water

Ahhhhh yes... learn something new all the time. How 'bout that. I've never used anything but topwater or bait while fishing from a boat in the ocean. Honestly, didn't realize you guys trolled off a downrigger. I've seen wire line trolled, but up til now hadn't known downriggers were used around these parts.
My luck, I'd find every lobster trap that had a "sunken" buoy in the entire area.
Thanks for setting me straight. Good thing you guys keep an eye on me.

Re: Re: Hey Slipknot downriggers are for salt water

Isn't lobster season coming to an end soon or am I making that up? Those traps are annoying but fish do hold around them. :)

Tried wire line trolling for stripers once out of falmouth down on the cape. We used huge bucktails and must have been trolling at 10 knots or so. Caught good fish doing it too.

Brian