Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: HEEEELP PLEEASEleader or florocarbon

Ive heard that the knots can slip but I have not had trouble! I use a trilene knot. Make sure you moisten it as you tighten it.Ive caught good sized fish without any not slippage.

Re: HEEEELP PLEEASEleader or florocarbon

i do a lot of nymph fishing and the flouro works the best. mono leaders with flouro tippets. its important to use the right knots, a double surgeons knot when tying mono to flouro works better for me than a blood knot, or use a small swivel for trolling. for trolling i use cortland camo with a tippet of 4 pound flouro about 6 feet long. sometimes when the water is muddy as some of the northern lakes get muddy at ice out i use just the camo line. lately ive been using a loop knot to attach lures with split rings, i havent had one fail this year and ive been changing lures with split ring pliers instead of retying every time. occasionally i do change the loop in fear that the old knott may weaken, but may chnage the lure several times before retying. one of the things i find with the flouro is that it gets weak with age. every once in a while test it with a scale.

Re: Re: HEEEELP PLEEASEleader or florocarbon

Fluor is definitely the best leader. If you use an attractor ahead of the lure, then you can go mono to the attractor and fluor to the lure. 4# or 6# may be fine for tying right to a lure but you should step up to 8# or even 10# fluor when using an attractor or flasher / dodger. If you use a dodger, go with the 10#. Lighter leaders can get all tangled and twisted, even with swivels, from the action of tha attractors. I got these tips from Alan at AJs bait and tackle.