Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Single vs. small trebles and catch and release techniques

John - would you care to comment in a day or two about our dicussion on using single hooks vs. small trebles on trolling lures? Also, do you have recommendations on handling, or not handling, salmonids to be released? I (and many others I'm sure) have on occasion struggled to minimize handling of these fragile salmonids. Last summer at Moosehead (after I unintentionally botched releases on couple small salmon), a guide taught me his technique for releasing smaller fish (i.e., fish obviously well below the weight of the test strength of your line). His approach was to lift the fish straight up out of the water and just over the edge of the boat and using a pistol-grip type hook removal tool, grab the base of the treble hook and with a flick of the wrist drop the fish straight back in the water without netting or handling the fish at all. This way no damage to the protective slime, no net tangles etc. For me, unless I'm going to keep the fish for eating, I just do this now and I've had (knock on wood) very successful releases ever since. Before, no matter how hard I'd try, it just seemed like I could not be gentle enough if I boated a salmonid before release.

Re: Single vs. small trebles and catch and release techniques

I also use a "no touch" technique to release small salmon/trout. I might suggest a smaller tool than the pistol-grip hook release tool. A pair of surgical hemostats (lots of tackle stores carry them) works perfectly on the smaller hooks on most of the lures we use for these fish. Just grasp the hook on the shank or at the bend of the hook, rotate your hand and give a gentle shake. The hook will pop right out and the fish will be released without being handled. Give it a try.

Re: Re: Single vs. small trebles and catch and release techniques

I dont even let the net out of the water anymore. I unhook them while in the rubber net, Rarely touching them at all. They all take right off.

Re: Re: Re: Single vs. small trebles and catch and release techniques

Thanks again John for your informative reply....we all appreciate your efforts!

Re: Single vs. small trebles and catch and release techniques

sorry, this has to be brief - DO NOT shake them off the hook with the fish hanging over the water in any vertical/semi-vertical position, this is one of the best ways to create MAJOR hook wounds, which we have found greatly reduces growth and body condition/the chance of this fish becoming a "quality" fish in the future - particularly with the age 1 and 2 salmon -"Proline" has it right on the money, holding them in the rubber net (no tangling, no loss of slime coat or scales, keeps the fish more calm) while gently removing the hook is the best way to go

Re: Re: Single vs. small trebles and catch and release techniques

Thanks for your prompt reply. I certainly didn't mean to suggest suspending the fish for release. I usually try to lean over and not remove the fish from the water and not handle unless absolutely necessary. Obviously my goal is 100% survival for the fish I release and I will modify my technique to match your suggestions. Thanks again for your contribution to the board.

Re: to bloat or not to bloat, that is the question...

Thanks for answering my question, when are you coming out with me on Squam. The invites allways there, just give me a date and I'll make sure I'm avaialble.

Sqaum seems to be picking up, just as you said it should.

Leaving now, Friday 2:00, for the weekend (a day late) but I'll send a report Monday, hoping it's a good one. Fishing pretty much alone so I hope I don't Donkey the netting, which is sometimes a problem on my boat when alone.. Popeye may join me Sunday, if his wife let's him, LOL. (I'll hear it on that comment)

John S.

Thanks again,

John S.