Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Cajun salmon with "fake" bernaise sauce

Fishless - here's a secret recipe in return for sound advice as to where to catch a LLS in EXCESS of 7# LOL. This recipe works with either fillets (grilled) or my favorite way to cook a wild salmonid - cleaned and poach / steamed first.

1. Sprinkle fillets or whole cleaned salmon (and cavity) with Cajun seasoning. There are a lot of variations on this "cajun" seasoning. I buy mine from Penzey's (a Wisconsin based spice outfit). Great quality. You can go on the web and mix your own. Start to grill or poach the salmon. My poaching procedure is simple: I cut the salmon into 2-3 pieces, depending on the size of the fish, place it on a rack, cover bottom of an electric skillet with 1/2 - 1 in of water and spices and steam / poach for 20-25 min (again based on fish size). Skin will brush off and bones will peel out.

2. Make "fake bernaise" sauce. I'm part french (sorry Dave) and can't even claim knowledge of the original or the spelling. But here's the secret recipe designed for someone with high / bad cholesterol:

-melt 2-4 tablespoons of Smart balance in a saucepan on very low heat
-add to as soon as fake butter is melted:
-granulated / powdered garlic (about 1/2 to 1 tsp)
-whole mustard seed (about 1/2 tsp) (note I add both yellow and brown mustard seed)
-lemon peel (about 1/4-1/2 tsp)
-green peppercorns (whole, about 1/4 tsp)
- pinch saffron (if you can find it; penzey's has it)

[Note all my amounts are "about." I'm a displaced cajun. I've never even measured the actual amounts, I just throw them in the pot. The amounts are my best estimates. Experiment].

-Next, Let this mixture steep in the melted smart balance while the fish is cooking. I sometimes start this "bernaise" process even before I put the fish on. If you can get the heat low enough that the smart balance does not burn, the longer these spices steep in the melted fake butter the better the flavor later on...
-After the steeping process, prepare a mixture of water, white wine vinegar and lemon juice (at least one cup, mostly water, then vinegar / lemon juice).
-turn up the heat and wisk in fine flour ("wondra" is great) into the melted smart balance until you end up with a paste.
-blend / wisk in water / vinegar / lemon juice mixture into the paste and reduce heat to simmer.
-add more water mixture and wisk a few times over the next couple minutes and shoot for a molasses-like consistency
-add pinch of finishing salt (Fleur de Seil - a LOL Dave salt - or Kosher / pickling type salt)
-keep sauce warm and serve over cajun spiced fish when ready.

The sweet flavor of the salmon is a great vehicle for the wonderful clash of the cajun / bernaise flavors. I like salmon so much I've tried a bunch of different recipes and like them all. But this recipe has taken over with my family and friends (for all types of fish) ; I get more requests for this than any other style and now this is what is expected of me when I cook! Can't say I complain about that...

Re: Cajun salmon with "fake" bernaise sauce

That also sounds like it would be a good recipe for bourbot Or as you guys call them Hornpout or catfish LOL up here we've always called them that LOL sounds like (bugbutt) say it in a french way and you'll get it LOL I gaining a few more pounds just reading these goshdarn recipes LOL Good thing Deer Season is coming up LOL But not till fishing season is done at least for me unless of course i wanna take the bow and sit in my field out back and try out my new C'mere Deer this stuff is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: cedar plank

I tried this on vacation and its good! Go to the local cooking store and pick up some cedar planks they have to be soaked for at least 30 min but I soaked them for 4 hrs. Prep the salmon anyway you like I filleted them and left the skin on and used cajun seasoning. Follow the directions that come with the planks. It gives the fish a smoked flavor and it was very good.