Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: planar boards question

You can use them with leadcore for sure.

When using leadcore off them this time of year you only need to let them out 30 feet to the side and send the lead out. This will keep the planer line tight and away from dragging down into the water, because of the weight of the lead.

You can use a dodger off of it with a fly and boards with lead but i would reccommend against it because if there is much wave action the dodger is spinning and fluttering and sometimes will tangle your fly.
If it is bumpy out there it eliminates any need for a dodger because the waves and boards are putting on the action. another reason i would advise against it is that you will need to let out 8-10 colors to get down there and reeling in 300feet of lead with a dodger attatched and a little 2 in. fly it is almost certain the hook will fall out and you just wasted a lot of time and got no fish.

lead will work and mono will work too but you will need to add a sinker to it to be effective in the summer. maybe a 2oz keel sinker out 100 feet should do it. (educated guess not science) in the spring just mono is fine when the fish are on top.

Re: Re: planar boards question

How many colors of lead core with 50'leader should I be running off planar's this time of year ? Will they handle 8 colors ?
Thanks for your help
Jim

Re: Re: Re: planar boards question

6-10 and yes as long as you keep your planers within 30 feet or so it is no problem. i like 7-8 right now.

Re: planar boards question

my favorite setup with a planer is 3 colors of 18 pound lead with a 20 pound mono backing. after the lead is out, i count to 10, 20, or 30 to get different depths. works well for me and i dont have to deal with line drag of the lead going out to the board.

Re: Re: planar boards question

Fishlessman, How was the fishing on Sebago this past weekend? I had some friends that went on Sat. They got 3 nice Salmon and a bunch of lakers that were all released. We went to Thompson Lake Yesterday, started the morning off well then it was just like somebody shut the switch off, ended up with 2 runts and one beauty that measured 22 3/4" but only 3 1/2Lbs Fought like crazy and tail walked all the way to the boat, Funniest thing was the way we had to net it LOL Ended up pulling a Sampson and donating the net to the bottom of the lake while motoring out, the only thing we had on board was a milk crate (Not kidding) After 5 trys we finally landed the fish LOL, Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: planar boards question

saterday was good with some good salmon, 3.5 to 4.5#. sunday was a bust, every fish hooked let go in the waves, my boat is very rocky in waves and we had bad luck with the downrigger releases spinning and tieng our lines up. monday, dad caught all the fish on a gold/orange acme warbler, he had two of those lures and i had none.went down to the store and picked one up for next time out.LOL. water is getting cooler and the salmon seem to fight better than a few weeks ago and the release is so much easier. im hoping that they start taking the small flies like what is reported on winnie, it seems that sebago is a few weeks behind winnie with colors and depths so i hope this trend holds true for a little longer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: planar boards question

I found the same to hold true with Thompson, I tried a variety of fly's on the leadcore and not even a hit, funny same color you metioned was almost exactly the color they were hitting on thompson, that one and the blue green db smelt on both sides. Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North. One of these days we'll make it to Sebago that's one of the only lakes we haven't tryed LOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: planar boards question

Now that you're no longer "donkey" Dave are you the milkman? Thats some creative netting, using the 'old milk crate! And I thought it was hard to manage a rubber net

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: planar boards question

LOL Actually it was my buddy Roberts that netted it with the milk crate i just caught it he had the tough job LOL It was def. a memory that won't soon be forgotten LMAO I can still see it now LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North