Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sunday afternoon another one hooked

Fished sunday afternoon from 3pm to 6 pm. Which wasn't the best weather of the weekend but was the only time we had to fish, We ended up with 8 fish 5 salmon and 3 lakers, all petty decent fish with only one short.
Between rainshowers I decide to change out some lures and as soon as I stared this process it begain pouring again but wet is wet and at that point I was petty wet. I tied on a brand new pumkin head smelt gun and went to toss it over the side, only problem, I was standing on the leader which cuased one of the hooks to become inpaled in the side of my index finger passed the barb and bend so only the hook shank was still visible, not a good thing. The resulting verbage which will not be repeated here caused "Jake" our 4 month old black lab who always fishies we us to emerge form the cuddy and out on to the deck where he became entangled in the leader thats was attached to the lure that was still in my hand, effectivly setting the hook. To further complicate things the downrigger on the other side of the boat went off and I watch as a petty good salmon repeatedly sounded on the end on the line. I alerted my 17 year old son who was visting with his girlfriend in the front of the boat that there was a fish on and he took time out to come back and land it! While I tryed to bite off the leader that was tangle in the dog that was attached to the lure that was embeded in my hand. Being a firefighter/EMT by profession I was confident in my abilty to render fristaid to myself lol. After the fish was landed which was a realy fat 18" or so inch salmon, that's only and estmate becuase the lure is still in my hand at this point and we wanted to get the fish back asap. When things calmed down i was able to work the hook back out along the same path it went in. Remarbly after all that the barb didn't spread which realy surprised me becuase I though I would be the second one in a week to vist the ER.

be well all

Glen

Re: Sunday afternoon another one hooked

Welcome to the club. Great story. LMAO now!

Salty

Re: Re: Sunday afternoon another one hooked

Beware fellow fisherman, the fish gods are angry. Keep the antiseptic handy.
Cal