Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moosehead report (much belated and overrated!)

You ain't kidding Richardson is about 1hr and 15min from where i live and there are some HUGE lakers in there that's for sure The one day we did make it up there this year we boated 11+ Salmon About 1/2 were runts and the other 1/2 between 17" - 20" Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Moosehead report (much belated and overrated!)

Great report"Eric" and super pics especially the pics of the glow lures in the dark.I have must of these same lures in my tackle box but none of them are a glow lure. Is it a special paint you are using which is readly available or do you purchase it by special order somehow.I would be very interested in learning more about making these glow lures or whatever the process is to make standard purchase lures into glow lures Thanks in advance Don L.{Salmoneer} "If your going to catch fish your going to lose lures" by Jason Lucus.

Re: Re: Moosehead report (much belated and overrated!)

Great report and pics.
I'll have to talk Trav into trying Moosehead!!

Re: Re: Moosehead report (much belated and overrated!)

Salmoneer - I'm using Super Glow heat and dip paints I purchased from a Canadian outfit, Real Pro Sports fishing: http://www.luremaking.com

I got a whole slew of these heat and dip paints in both super glow and regular colors and have been experimenting. Some of the super glow colors will glow for 1-2 hours or more. It took me a little while (10-15 blanks) before I got the hang of working with the heat and dip paints, but even then its still a little tricky for me. You heat the part, dip in the paint and for the lines and dots I use a variety of little paintbrushes to dab on the paint. After painting you cure the painted blanks in the oven at 350 F for 10 min and then finish is cured like that of a car - hard and durable. I had to make the purple and green myself as they were not available.

I bought the 2" mini "gun" blanks for Real Pro and the standard lure blanks (about 2 3/8), which I think are made by Worth and resemble the fishlander bodies, I got from Stamina (http://www.upnorthoutdoors.com/stamina/spoon_blanks/Spoon_Blanks.html). Later this fall Real Pro will have a couple options for mini mini trolling blanks (1.5 in) in the smelt gun size range.

I got the smaller glow beads from Stamina and the larger ones from a small Great Lakes region outfit I lost track of...not bookmarked. Those big glow beads are awesome so I'll need to track that supplier down -- they glow brightly for >4 hours. I wonder if just one a little bit in front of a flie might be worth trying? I also got my hardware (hooks, split rings, swivels) from a combination of Real Pro and Stamina. I tied most of the attractors using 50-lb. mono and snap swivels at either end. Obviously, if you're set up to work with wire you might go that route but I'm not. In hindsight I'd have used better quality (stainless) bearing snap swivels as after only 2 weeks in the field a couple of the cheaper brass snap swivels on a few attractors are already suspect. I'll just retie these with better swivels.

I'll post some more shots of different lures over the next week or so...At some point I'll compile and share my glow lure making info with Alan Nute to see if he can make them available to the Winni crowd. Of course if Alan or Bethany read this, please feel free to pursue this on your own...Hardest part is learning to work with the heat and dip paints.

Eric H.

Re: Re: Re: Moosehead report (much belated and overrated!)

"Eric" thanks for the speedy replie.it sure is a lot to absorbe in one sitting so I"ll print it and study it throughly.With any luck and if I have any talant I may be able make some of these outstanding looking glow lures. I"am sure they won"t be great as yours; but with trial and pratice maybe I"ll produce something will catch fish. Thanks again Don L.{Salmoneer} "The bigger the lure the bigger the fish" by Jason Lucus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Moosehead report (much belated and overrated!)

No need to study too hard Salmoneer...it should stay up on the board for a while. My glow lures are still prototypes -- I'm still learning how to work with these heat/dip paints. Is there one in particular you like? I've got multiples of some and could trade for a trip out on Winni...I can't trailer at the moment. I'll post some more pictures -- yes I've got even more of these creations, some I made for Winni and have not had a chance to try (a glow salmon and a couple "glwo 'bow" versions)...arts and crafts for the middle aged....Eric

Re: Moosehead report (much belated and overrated!)

Great report, allthough I only glanced at it I did print it out as I'm sure there is some valuable info in the report.

After I read it I'm sure I may have some questions and I'll post again.

Nice job,

John S.