Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

Thanks for the info I greatly appreciate it, and by the way You have a Beautiful lake there!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

Just an FYI 99 percent of the fish I have caught on Sebago have been 34'down on the riggers. Sebago has been GREAT this year. Hope to get up there one more time this year.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

Bunkee
how far back from the ball are you setting the lure back. ive only been setting the lure back around 6 feet, but dad was fishing about 40 feet back and having more luck this week and last. just curious if that has something to do with catching them at 34 feet down verse deeper. tons of new smelt this weekend on top over deep water near the pasture

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

Fishlessman, we were running our's about 20'-25' behind the ball and i wasn't using attractors on the ball this time Do you use the attractors? any hot lure combinations you've been catching them on lately? Tryed some fly's yesterday but nothing Thanks!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

tried flies saterday, nothing would bite them. orange and copper and orange and brass (gold) acme warblers 1-6 ounce, greyghost topgun, and orange with black dot acme db's have been working the last few weeks. we were having a lot of luck with purple earlier this year, but it stopped working lately. earlier this year we couldnt catch anything with orange unless it was the purple orange top gun, but all three of those lures i mentioned have bright orange and are working now

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

I run the lure 100 to 150 feet back, I have run the lure 8 feet back but only when I am bottom fishing for Lakers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

Bunkee
thanks, looks like i need to get the lure farther back when fishing closer to the boat.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

It was a trick YO ADREIN put me onto in the spring last year, he said " put out alot of line". Not sure if he meant just for spring fishing (up top) but if something works... well you know :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

I think I have heard quite a few guys say when your fishing shallow, to put em way back 30 to 50 feet minimum. Travis says he allways keeps line way back, regardless the deph.

John S.

With 2 riggers you can do a lot of experimenting. Believe it or not, the fish will tell you what they want. I usually set one line (minimum)50 feet and one short. If you are using some sore of flasher off the downrigger ball you usually can snub it up close but I have not done well at less that 10 feet. Most of the time here in northern Maine (for me anyway) 50 to 75 feet with no attractor is good.

Friends of mine use the rule of 100 with good success.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

pretty much thru the summer i was running 4 feet of cowbells attached to the ball with the lures attached to a cable clip up 1.5 to 2 feet above and behind the last cowbell. this worked well up til about 2 weeks ago from 42 feet on down. i liked the 6 feet because i could spin ther boat occasionally in complete circles without getting tangled. im thinkinking now that the new smelt are coming up, that there is so much feed that the salmon dont need to come near the boat to chase the smelt and just stay far away even when fishing deeper. definately going to drop the lines way back next week to see what happens. it also seemed with the shorter line to the ball, i needed lighter line or the catchrate dropped. with the longer line my dad was using last weekend he was getting away with 8 pound test. definatly going to change things up this weekend coming

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

Great discussion...I've been such a knucklehead that I've (stubbornly) been keeping my lures / presentations pretty tight to the ball becauase I'm using the vertical flashers on the ball. I'd read that fish could "miss" your lure if its too far back from the flashers... But I've been wondering the same thing about the fish getting spooked near the boat, so I too will start experimenting with dropping my lures back a good bit further...If this is what Travis does...we could do worse.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

If you are using attractors on the ball you don't necessarily want to run a lure way back yonder. There are days when attractors near the ball works and works well, there are days when way back works.

Experimenting and experience will tell you.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!

Jay - I'm short on the experience so I need to start experimenting!! I have a little success with something and I don't want to change...even when its not working. I've got to open up new doors...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow

The best time to experiment is when what you normally do IS working. It adds to your bag of tricks quickly.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake

Good idea

What is rule of 100 ?

If your rigger ball is down 30 put your lure back 70... If your rigger is down 50 put your lure back 50. Good rule of thumb for how far behind the ball to run. Obviously, its just an idea to start with and work from there. It does seem to work, though.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sebago Lake 1st Timer!!!!!!!! Beautiful Lake Wow!!!!!!

Sounds good to me...

Slip, never heard of that and I thank you for sharing! I will be trying it soon. Thanks again Doc

Sorry, missed your question.

Slipknot is 100% correct. Its a starting point.