Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you guys trying for them?

For whatever it's worth when I lived in Western Mass I fished out of Gate 8 on Quabbin Res. which gives up quite a few big lakers (10-17 pounds annually). Two methods were used
1. Still fishing with big live bait
2. Slow trolling with big bait (6"-10") Golden shiners with a Davis rig or big dodger.
Keep in mind Quabbin doesn't have forage base of smelt Winni does.

Dean

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you guys trying for them?

Reel it in --- I was doing something similar, marking deep fish that were likely lakers, then putting my presentations right in their face. After I got the hang of it I didn't need to pop the releases -- the togue would do that for me! They're not salmon, but put up a nice fight and taste great if you smoke them
-Eric

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you guys trying for them?

In 04 while I was on Sabago, I found some huge fish suspended 140 feet down over 250 feet. I was using silver/blue flash kings and had about a 10 foot lead off the balls. Hooked up 18 of them just trolling through them at 1.5, all between 6-13 pounds the first day. Everyone else was in 50'fishing. It was the middle of July.
Did this for the week I was there, over 60 lakers all good size. Had the fish biologist there checking fish that week, they came out with me the last 2 days and had a ball. Biggest being 2 @ just over 13lbs.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you guys trying for them?

Gotta get deep. I was reluctant to go too deep at first...but caught the biggest togue at 86-ft...and then bottom!

-Eric

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you guys trying for them?

I got a king one year up to Ontario 185' down over 200. Champlain is another lake you can get some big lakers in by going "down on them"

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you guys trying for them?

Trust your sonar, hope you can trust your GPS maps, and prepare to raise the ball in a hurry...!