(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: which fishfinder

Fishless:

This is a link to the sonar products page on the Lowrance web site. They have a few lower priced color sonar-only units if that is what you're looking for:

http://www.lowrance.com/Support/sonar.asp

What's cool about this site is you can download an emulator for any of the units you're interested in and go for a test drive. I agree with John go with color...so much better. Also, avoid the dual frequency and go with the 200-khz only 'ducer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which fishfinder

Ditto on the 200 frequency, Lowrance will give you a 200 for free if you bought a unit that came with dual, I guess dual is only for ocean depths and the straight 200 works bette for lakes depths like ours.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which fishfinder

I have the lowrance 337 cdf and it works great . have had some problems with the unit but was with the gps the cable was bad right out of the box so after a couple of times sending the unit and gps module we figured it out and has worked great .I have the dual frequency ducer which is great so I can track my rigger balls .at first I was using the fish symbols but now am using the arches. took a while to get the unit set for using the arches . alot of reading the manual more than once to understand everything . still learning more on the gps side which is good when your 30 to 40 miles out in the ocean . and with the backround maps they are pretty accurate which is good to get back. color is the way to goI think. also I use the 50 frequency on the lakes and ocean . "reel it in "

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which fishfinder

On my 337 I track my down rigger balls just fine with the 200 frequency, worked great right out of the box with the arches, etc.

Did you know if you want to swith to which screen is active in split screen mode all you do is hit pages twice and it switches active screens for any afjustments, zoom in/out, etc. etc. Maybe you did but I thought that was a great feature, not all Lowrances do this.

What I like most about Lowrances is just about all models have the same menu set up, so there is not a whole lot of re-learning if you upgrade.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which fishfinder

Reel it in -- you had problems with the GPS cable with your 337c? I'm just starting to experience some "module not responding" weirdness and Salty has had this issue repeatedly with his 332 (I think they both use exactly the same GPS module). Can you describe what part of the GPS cable (entire thing with connectors?).

You're probably better off using the 200 Khz frequency on the lates. You lose a lot of resolution with the 50 khz. The intent of the DF was for the 50 khz to be used in >150 - 200 ft of saltwater. Like John S., I've had some issues with the DF so I plan to install a smaller 200 khz only 'ducer (they discontinued their "free" offer -- I'd actually have to buy it, bummer). In addition, the dedicated 200 khz has a better cone and therefore better resolution than the DF working in 200 khz mode. Something else to do this winter.

When the 337c is operating normally, which is most of the time, its great.

Re: Re: Re: which fishfinder

i have a cheap hummingbird, and one of the early gps without mapping. just use the gps as a speed indicator because the hummingbird is unreliable for speed. both are very basic units. dont really know how much mapping capability would help, unlike winni, sebago is a big bowl with uniform ledges around the perimeter and a big hump in the middle. most of it is sandy and you can drag a ball on the botttom for a long time without hanging up which seems to be a good thing for catching lakers if you want to. i do have a need for a second finder on the back of the boat as i cant see the one in the front with people standing in the way. dont want al the frills, but do want the better detail, so color looks like the way to go. will look for a unit with the transducer you recommend. no mapping capability, no cell phone, and not even a microwave, i wonder how many consider those things just frills

Re: Re: Re: Re: which fishfinder

Fishless - do you have running water (LOL)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which fishfinder

you have to have priorities, who needs running water when there is guinness on tap. its almost that time of year to get the makeshift kegerator flowing
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which fishfinder

My favorite beer on tap! Can you take it on the boat?