Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: radar

Just my opinion, but radar would be invaluable in fog if the cost is not prohibitive. I don't have it, but would love to have it...especially after my GPS stopped working in thick fog at first light...

Eric

Re: Re: radar

For our Lakes I think GPS is the b----, especially in fog or dark conditions. I have different trails saved around the Lake so when ever I'm out, I know where I am and how to get back when visabilty goes south.

Radar is probably a tad expensive to have as a back up, cheaper to have a back up GPS, maybe on a switch box if your not comfortable with what you have, or a hand held ?

Aa far as Lowrance, I think the company has some quality control issues, seems any problems I have had are allways with new units, once we get the bugs out, have stuff replaced, etc. they seem to work without a hitch. Of course now I have a problem with surface temp. on one of my ducers, but it's been working fine since last year and I'm sure they will replace it.

Maybe they concentrate a little more on the quality of what goes out the door insed aof just replacimg stuff that's defective afterwards... They do seem to have quite a few of the same type issues as we see them here noted here on the message board.

Hopefully they make updates as they indentify the same consistant problems.

At any rate they do have some issues with quality, but the customer service is super, they don't leave ya hangin.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: radar

Its the "made in China" angle I'm sure. I bought the "Map Create" package from Lowrance and spent a weekend trying to get a defective card reader to work...Called them, found it was defective, got a new one, worked...

Reel it in posted that he also had problems with his 337 GPS and that it turned out Lowrance had problems with the GPS cable!!! This might explain both Salty's problems and my recent problems.

I will definitely have my iFinder H20c on hand (no pun) as a backup from now on. I lost GPS ("module not responding") in THICK fog last Sat. (could not see more than two boat lengths anywhere) at first light. Boy did THAT s*%k.

Re: Re: Re: Re: radar

"Module not responding" is usually a sign of trouble brewing, I had that last year or maybe the year before, it eventually quit. They would have sent me one right away and then I would send the old one back, but I didn't understand them correctly and went out and bought one. I still have then old one and they said to send it and they would replace it, but I haven't done anything yet, after the season I'll send everything back to be checked out, etc. Last I I did that they sent me a new unit back, they found some problem I guess ??????

John S.

Re: radar

I have radar on my boat. Could i do without it 99% of the time, Yes. But that 1% it can really save your arse. Gps charts are not always perfect. it may say you are left of the buoy when in fact you are about to hit or a little to the right. When the radar is on there is no question. Especially helpful when running a channel at night you just follow the highway of buoys right down the gut. saves you from hitting lobster pots early in the morning or late at night. shows other boats so you don't hit them. Mine is about $1000 it is a JRC1000 probably the cheapest thing on the market but it has never let me down.
If you have the cash and the space and are going to be out a lot then put one on.

Re: Re: radar

...Came full circle on this! I ditto YoAdrien and reiterate my 2 cents which is if you've got the money and the space to mount it radar is very valuable for the reasons stated. I was on a lake last weekend in dense fog and lost GPS...radar would have reduced my stress level demonstrably.

Eric H.