Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: flasher question

I use 11 inch salmon slashers off my balls. I use 6# balls, and run the slashers off the balls, with only a 3" beaded swivel. They move all over the place, Pole bouncing all over the place, looks like I got a jigging machine hooked up. I use my (pro-troll) release, about 3 feet above the ball.
Even when I run a longer lead (50' or more) I still get results. If I do only one rigger, and leave the other plain, I get more action off the slasher side. Colors I use are a white/purple, and a red headed step child. Saturday I was running a fly 12' back, and the rigger set up with the slasher was hotter than the rest of our lines.
My 2cents on flasher.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: flasher question

i think im going to find the biggest dodger at kittery and give this a try this weekend. any local sources for those slashers, or just online. want to try this this weekend with the longer lines as the fish are starting to get up top, maybe some speed trolling this weekend as well. thanks popeye, for the info. maybe run a weighted set of cowbells 40 or so feet off the ball as well just to see on another rigger. not much time to experiment left, seasons way to short.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: flasher question

Popeye - I remember you're earlier posts on the "jigging machine" you create with the large flasher / dodger. Have you ever done this when using verticals as well? - Eric H.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: flasher question

I have never used verticles. I used 11 inch flashers in my younger years, but the slasher works better as far as going all over the place. It makes anything dance behind it. I was nervous when I first started using them (early 90s?) that I would scare away the fish. But that didn't happen and Its one of my things I still do today. Even when my leads are 100 back, I leave the slashers on just to attract, if that is what they do.
I have one of them on 18" on rigger cable, snap swivel on both ends to the ball. My tidy white one just has the 3" beaded chain on the swivels. Either set up gives them enough room to rumble, but I don't get tangled any more with the shorter cable, and my release 3 feet above. Try it, you'll like it!! Red headed stepchild(flasher) and a blue angle(slasher) are on my other 2 balls.)

Fishlessman;
portontariotackle.com
Pick out what colors you want and which type. Ginny will get your order out the same day.
I would stick with the 11", but that is just me as I get duel duty out of them as I use them on Ontario to.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: flasher question

Popeye...as always great info and tactics you share. Everyone does a great job of sharing info on the sight but you get right down to the exact setup. Hope to cross paths with you someday.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: flasher question

I use to hold back, but my kids gave me hell!!!
The real reason is because this site is great, everyone shares to help out, so i figure it's the least I can do as I have spent a little time on the water.
Thanks
We will hook up
Had my first Cannon "econo" rigger in 81.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: flasher question

Popeye - thanks for the details. I'll look into these "slashers" as well. I'm thinking about using the slashers and verticals together...heck I already bought the verticals on advice of salty and they seem to work...

Eric H.

Salmon Slashers / Oki

Popeye - I checked out the link on the Salmon Slashers you provided. I have one of these "Oki" Kingfishers, apparently pretty similar. A link to one source:

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store/Oki_Kingfisher_Flashers.htm

I think I got mine from Cabela's though. What color schemes are best for these salmon slashers?

-Eric H.

Re: Salmon Slashers / Oki

If Salty uses it, its golden man!!I have never used the blades, got to see it in action.
Mine are white, I just like white. The red headed stepchild is just that, red, and my others are green. Most of the ones I use have a bloody nose.
They are all (slashers/flashers about the same animal.

Popeye

Re: Re: Salmon Slashers / Oki

Yo Popeye,

Bring some of that stuff tomorrow, I have some too that I've never used, we'll throw everything but the kitchen sink at em and if I can find one of them, we can drag that around too.

Call me,

John S.