Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: dipsey divers

Thanks for the info!

Re: Re: Re: Re: dipsey divers

I used them on Squam last month and they worked fine. I know they are not really popular out there, but they are a nice alternative to a downrigger. Especially in my case where everything was being used on a rental. They are real easy to use and there will be no doubt when you get a hit on one. The rod will really start thumping. Just make sure you have a solid rod holder. They put some serious stress on the rod holder.

If you plan on running more than two on one side of the boat, make sure you put the dipsy on the lowest setting on the inside. It's wise to use two different rod lengths in that scenario too, with the longer rod being the one that is the outside rod. I ran my outside dipsy on setting 3 and my inside on setting 1. They come with a O ring that you can use, but I removed them. I used the type 1 Dipsy (I could get them down to 70 feet), which is the big one. There is a Mag Dipsy, which is bigger, but not needed for Winni. Don't use mono! There is too much stretch in mono and you'll have a hard time popping the release on the dipsy when you want to pull your line and change presentations. Braid is the way to go. I used power pro and fireline. One last thing, I ran my dipsy rods parallel to the water.

Good luck with them.

Re: Re: Re: dipsey divers

That's the best advice I ever heard from you, of course any advice from you is good, but this was down to earth, honest to goodness advice, pro and con.

I have been thinking about trying them, but now I think I'll stick to what I'm doing (no dipsy's)

Thanks Yo,

John S.

By the way, Forry got even for all those early morning phone calls I've made to you and others. Only one thing worse than a needless early morning phone call, a late night phone call when you plan on getting up at 3:00 to go fishin. I'll explain later.

Re: Re: Re: Re: dipsey divers

I use dipseys...Caught 2 runts on wire and a dipsey Thursday on Sunapee. I took out the wire when the riggers would not fire. Use them alot during the derby when I switch to hardware.

Popeye