Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Planer Board Design?

Built some planer boards. Unfortunately they did not work. They did not swim right at trolling speeds.

Has anyone designed any that really work well? Also, what type of wood is best (and available around here)?

Re: Planer Board Design?

Brian,

Big John (not me) as in dowriggers, designed a pretty good set called Otter boards, even have expensive motorized retrieve on the tower, don't need that unless you won the lottery and I guess if you did you wouldn't be trying to make some homemade boards...

Work great, save your time for fishing, call AJ, sometimes he has used set ups, that's where I got mine, or Cabelas.

I think a good set of boards is a must, we will use them the entire season next year, not just a Spring and Fall fishing tool.

John S.

Brian
I have built 2 or 3 sets using a set of plans I drew up - they worked pretty god for this poor boy out of plywood, the recommendations was redwood. I can fax or mail you a copy of the plans, let mek now info
later
Throbbin Rods

Brian,

I built a set from the plans on the below pasted website, i used home-depot #1 pine, i used 1x8. they seem to work pretty good.
http://triflash.hallcrash.net/free/toppage1.aspx

Re: Re: Planer Board Design?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. That set of plans seems to be the type of design I am looking for. I'm going to try cedar though.

John, I like to build my own stuff for two reasons: #1 I am much more greatful when I use them knowing that I created them and #2 I am very, very picky. Just go ask my boat dealer about that or anyone I have purchased anything from. ha ha.

Again thanks guys. Might now be a winter project. I don't hunt but also realize we are coming to a close soon.

Brian