Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

Eric
As my lil bro Popeye said, BTDT. Scoped both knees, one got a zipper. Last Dr Visit they told me no more scopes would do me any good but not yet bad enough to replace. Until such time as they are ready to be replaced I just keep on keeping on. I returned to work next day after all 3 surgeries, and was deer hunting 2 days after one of them, fishing 3 days after the zipper. Just take your time and do things smart. Specifically, do not jump over the side of a pickup to the ground below 2 weeks after surgery, it will cause you to utter filthy words!!!
Good luck
Throbbin Rods

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

I def. understand where you are coming from Eric, I got hurt at work and had 4 surgeries 2 on each leg from Jan04 to May 06 so i know how ya feel i was on crutches for over 2 years UGHHHHHHHH so needless to say i have done all kinds of fishing this summer Woo Hooo I've had 6 scopes on left leg, major surgery on right leg and 1 scope on right leg so i know how much it S____KS Hope ya feel better Quick Good Luck!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

Dave - you had it a lot rougher. I did have major ACL reconstruction on the R knee 10 years ago but now its as solid as can be. Had like 6 procedures on the L knee first time and I was advised I might need it cleaned up again...its been bothering me and I kept putting it off. This time it should be pretty minor by comparison. I can't blame it on work, just old stuff. I was the meat-squad quarterback three years in college and got the hell beat out of me daily as fodder for the 1st team defense. I finally wised up and played rugby after that! You're only young once.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

That's why my biggest philosophy is to "Live Each Day to the Fullest!!!!!!!!!" Cause you never know what the next day is going to bring!!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North P.S. the only good thing about my accident is that I'm now finally able to pursue a Dream that i never thought possible!!!!!!!!!! (Your worst Nightmare, Is the Dream you Never Chase!!!!!!!!)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

Dave - I need some of your positive thinking. I've been a downer for too long. Getting back into fishing is one tool to help see life differently. It is a work in progress for me. I lost both my parents early last year (3 days apart) after 12+ years of them being seriously ill on and off and did not realize how I had developed a seige mentality over time. After getting through that the first thing I did was buy a real boat (my 14' plain jane was getting rocked on Winni) to remove the excuses for not spending more time on the water. Now, I've got the boat and I'm still trying to spend more time on the water! Thanks for the comments.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

Boy we do have alot in common I know that feeling also, in 04 i lost both of my grandmother's 2 days apart, I def. know how those emotions can take a toll on you. And i also know just how much Deep Depression can take a toll on you also, When i got hurt i had my whole life figured out (or so i thought) Good Job, I Bought My Granma's house on 6.2 acres in a beautiful scenic location had all the toys (snowmachine's etc..) then i got hurt UGHHHHHHHHH thought i was going to lose it all after working so hard to get everything, but i managed to pull through it. After being told i couldn't return to the physical work i was doing (Beer Delivery Driver) and knowing how to do nothing else besides being a laborer i was sent back to school, Now i am studying to be a Teacher (hopefully Science Earth/Life) which has always been a lifelong Dream!!!!!!! One of the best course I have taken that gave me a whole new perspective of Life in General was Philosophy of Modern Times, It helped me to realize too set Realistic Goals for myself that i know i can Acheive and too look at everything and everyone around me differently Helped me tremendously with Patience and a bunch of other things. Life isn't a "Bed of Roses" but we have to make do with what we have!!!!!!!! Also being a part of this "Awesome" website has introduced me to Many New and Dear Friends that i know i will have for a Very long time to come!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North P.S. Here's to a quick recovery time for ya!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

Tough break on your forced career change Dave. Sounds like it may work out for you in the long run. There is nothing wrong with working / laboring for a living, but your story shows what can happen if you get hurt and you rely on your own two hands. My late aunt got her Ph.D. back in the 40s when women were hardly even going to college and she always said education is about the only real way to climb the ladder-- "they can't take your degrees away" she would always say. I think science is where the best teaching opportunities are, so stick to it. I am a geologist ("hydrogeologist" actually) and have thought about doing something along those lines as a second career someday. I have my own 'shop' with a few really good people and I have a lot to be thankful for. I just have my head up my butt too much to notice sometimes. Bobbing around on the water and catching a fish occasionally helps put things in perspective

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

If your up to it, I'll take ya out on Squam, it's no Winni but maybe you can get a big boy before the year is out.

Fish I can't guarentee, but comfort, that's not a problem on my Barge. Walk right on, no climbing or stepping down, full curtains in rain and heater if needed.. Plus I'm used to handicap people, my friend Harry is allways on crutches and I just fished with Forry, actually Forry and Harry both on the same day, LOL.

I'd do Winni one more time, but my "2006" FORD TRUCK is getting a complete new engine assembly, been over a week and the motor is still on it's way. If I get it on time, I'll put the 500 on in a day so that I can haul my Barge, LOL..

Let us know how you make out.

By the way, what the hell is a "hydrogeologist" thems big words, and do you think can we carry on a normal conversation on the boat, only kidding with ya.

Good luck with the surgery,

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Tough break on your forced career change Dave. Sounds like it may work out for you in the long run. There is nothing wrong with working / laboring for a living, but your story shows what can happen if you get hurt and you rely on your own two hands. My late aunt got her Ph.D. back in the 40s when women were hardly even going to college and she always said education is about the only real way to climb the ladder-- "they can't take your degrees away" she would always say. I think science is where the best teaching opportunities are, so stick to it. I am a geologist ("hydrogeologist" actually) and have thought about doing something along those lines as a second career someday. I have my own 'shop' with a few really good people and I have a lot to be thankful for. I just have my head up my butt too much to notice sometimes. Bobbing around on the water and catching a fish occasionally helps put things in perspective

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

That's kind of funny Eric, i took a Geology course spring and Loved it!!!!!!! ended up with an A- Not bad for a 4 credit course considering a few students didn't pass LOL I'm actually doing a lesson on thursday for my after school students on soils, showing them the different horizons etc... and for a reward I'm making them a Bowl of Worms, (chocolate pudding with gummy worms in it) but they have to pay attention to get the reward, Nice thing about teaching young children, you mention "Reward" and their minds turn into little sponges!!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

John S. - thanks for the invite. I'd like to take you up on it, I will see how I do. My surgery got pushed back from tomorrow to Friday (insurance issues). I think I will be OK within a week or less.

Basically a hydrogeologist is a geologist that specializes in dealing with groundwater. Our main business is cleaning up contaminated groundwater with bacteria -- "bioremediation" is the term of art. I've invented a few things for doing this, but suffice it to say I'm still working for a living.

I'm sure we can talk about tons of things other than 8th grade science (leave that for Dave!). Day in day out I'm always working with science and engineering types...one of the reasons I like fishing is I can get away from that hang out with "normal" people. Fishing, football, women's rear ends, all things I like to talk about!

I'll let you know how I make out. And thanks again for the offer. A heater on a boat! Woo hoo! Sounds like a luxury liner.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

Good luck, maybe I'll invite Big Dave along and you two geoligist nerd types can get into it, while I catch all the fish, LOL..

Keep in touch,

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

Come on now we've had some pretty good conversations on your boat and some good snacks LMAO I only talk nerd talk when im asked about it LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North P.S. If you would have bought a Chevy You'd still have your truck LMAO just kidding that truck of yours is "SWEET"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

LOL his barge is just like a cruise ship only smaller LOL Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North. Just stay away from the couch or you'll want to take a nap LOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

We just need to arm John's barge with a few small torpedos for the cigarette boats...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

Not on Squam, hardly any boats after Labor Day and never Cigarette boats.

Thanks for the book on winterizing, haven't read it yet but if my Marina did all you wrote, maybe I'm getting my monies worth, LOL. I'll read it and get back to you if I have any questions.

I haven't the foggiest what Fogging is ???????

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Depression sets in...

John S. - no cigarette boats on Squam? That brings a tear to my eye. Maybe save the torpedos for the water skiiers who try to take over that section of little Squam.

You know I really stressed over getting my act together to winterize my new motor last year...but in the end I did allright. I was going to default to paying the "local" guy, but its 1 hr each way, plus $$$...plus I just wanted to know how to do it. I think if you follow my punch list you'll be fine. I actually gained a lot of confidence working through it myself. Having the engine start up right away and purr in early April (after ice out), that boosted my confidence. These Hondas are great motors, a little TLC for the off season could add years of life and save $$$. If / when you get around to it get in touch if you have questions. Check to see if your 115 has the dedicated "service" valve. That simplifies things a bit.