Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Asquam report, late bite no bite ???

Just typed a whole report, hit the wrong key and lost it all,ugh, I hate it when that happens.

Here it goes again:

Asquam (in the subject box) was a typo, but I left it that way as this is actually real name for Squam as shown on the old Lake Maps. A little history.

Friday-2 lines, Forry couldn't make it, fished alone. No bites at all til 11:00, then 4 keeper Salmon over the next 1.5 hours, nothing big, nothing else, no more bites except for a few Bass. Called it a day at 1:30, decided to troll a bit more on the way in by Church Island. Got a really big bite at 42 feet on a rigger and on my favorite "big fish fly", a realy heavy fish, whopeeeeeee could this be the big one I've been looking for all season. Wronnnnnnnng, a 4 pound Smallie at 42 feet, do you believe it.

Saturday-6 lines: The "Three Amigos" (Slipknot, Big Dave and myself) had a final fishing trip together of the season as Craig(Slipknot) has to go off hunting to kill a bear, or is it a Deer, maybe both ??? Perfect day, new moon, rainy and drizzle all night and forecast for Saturday.

16.5" Rainbow about 7:30 and that's all folks, no more bites. Tons of fish from 15 to 45 feet, had all then depths covered well, couldn't even snag one. Started with all fly's then slowly swicthed over to spoons even tried stick bait, nadda. 11:30 called it a day. I hope the fish put on one more "big bite" before the Fat Lady sings, and I hope I can be there for it.

All fish caught of Fly's, both days and mostly on lead core 6/7 colors and/or 23'(1 Rainbow) to 36' feet (Salmon) and 42' for Bass, LOL..

Came home today, a day early, I think I'm geting burt out, ready for the end of the season maybe. But I'll snap out of it quick as I have a trip with Trav and Big Dave planned for next Wednesday.

I think Craig and Dave are about all done too, as all they could talk about was hunting all morning. Myself I'm not a hunter, so I'm hoping I can hit a few small Lakes that are open all year before the ice comes. If anyone is looking for a partner to fish after the 30th, give me a jungle. Have to be yur boat, as
my boat is to big to haul to some smaller lakes. Need a week or two to catch up on a bunch of stuff, but then I'll be raring to go.

One more week, I'll finish it out next weekend Squam, sure hope they bite better then.

Said our goodbyes so Craig could go to Popeye's to get a deer or was it a bear, Dave headed north to the "cold country" and me south to the "flatland" ???

Hope you all get out at least one more time before it's over and good luck to all you guys that hunt.

John S.

Re: Asquam report, late bite no bite ???

John. S - try sometimes using the backward / forward kees will get your work back when that happens on the board.

-Eric

Re: Re: Asquam report, late bite no bite ???

I know, tried that, but it was goneeeeeeeeeee, oh well only happend once today, another time I lost it 2 or 3 times same post, fat fingers I guess..

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Asquam report, late bite no bite ???

Thanks Again John, It was Great to get one last trip of the 3 of us Amigos together. All i can say is thank you to A.J. and Travis, if not for this site (Yeah i know i sound like a broken record, but it's true LOL) i probably would have never met either John, or Slipknot Now i have 2 new Best Friends and Fishing Partner's and i Love it. You guys are both great and I'm glad that we were all able to meet and become what is now known as the "3 Amigos" 'Ole, Ole' LOL Hoping to get out at least 2 more times before the season ends UGHHHHHHHHHHH April is a long way's away UGHHHHHHHHHH But boy with us 3 Amigo's the fish better be prepared next year, Cause our buddy with the comfy ship is no longer "Landlocked on Squam" LOL Not many fish today but as always Great Company Good Laughs and a day Spent with Great Friends "Doesn't get any better then that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Thanks again Buddy!!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North P.S. I wonder if Craig's bow strings Slip like his Knots???????? LMAO

Re: Re: Re: Re: Asquam report, late bite no bite ???

It was fun today, as allays. It was cool, rainy, the fish weren't biting. But who cares, we were nice and comfy, fully enclosed, dry, with the heater on. We just sat around and shot the breeze in between the heavy rain showers, if we caught a fish it would have been a bonus.

It's been decided allready, the Sampson Barge will fish the Derby next Spring, Craig and I at least, maybe my son David, the 3 of us did it last year on Craigs boat. We plan on giving Salty a run for his money, not fishing but with gormet menu on board. I know you allways fish it with your regular partner Rob, if he decides not to fish your welcome aboard.

If we don't catch many big fish at least we will eat good and be comfortable should the weather come up nasty as it can in the Spring.

See ya Weds.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Asquam report, late bite no bite ???

Hold a spot for me because it looks like graduation for me will fall on that Friday, but i surely would love to fish on Sat/Sunday, I'll let ya know when the time comes Here's hoping I see ya on Weds.????????? Take Care God Bless and Tight Lines LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Asquam report, late bite no bite ???

Thanks again, John, for having us out on Squam. Doesn't matter if the fish bite as long as you're with good friends. I had a great time.
Looking forward to next year. Yup, hunting is on my mind now. My favorite time of year. But, maybe we'll be able to get together for a late season troll on an unclosed lake. We'll see what we can work out.
Maybe you'll have to buy some warm clothes and join us for some ice fishing. I'm hoping to get out for some hardwater action this year. Here's hoping the lakes freeze over quickly this year.
Good luck next weekend... I'll be thinking of you guys while I'm in PA bowhunting deer.
It was great meeting so many people from the board this year. Many new friends. Great times.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Asquam report, late bite no bite ???

Hi John..
Very disappointing season for me on Squam. I really don't think it will get much better for a few years. You mentioned fshing some of the lakes still open after the 30th. I heard they were catching some nice rainbows out of Winona last fall but my boat was down for repair. I have checked the launch and it looks like I could launch my boat there (20 foot crestliner) but not alone. If you want to try it sometime, maybe we could coordinate a trip. Also, will you be at the netting area in sandwich when they survey the fish this fall? Let me know when it is, cause I'd like to be there to just to see what things look like for Squam next year.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Asquam report, late bite no bite ???

Squam was good and bad, to both extremes. I caught quite a few big Salmon and even 2 Lakers 5 and 7 pounds, but many times only the one fish and even more days "no fish".

I have a real mixed feelings about the Lake right now. Sure a trophy lake is a great idea and I love to catch big Salmon, but so many skunk days are pretty dissapointing.

I agree it will be good in a year or two if we practice catch and release so that the babies in there now develop into bigger fish. On John Viar's advice, I only took out Salmon 4 pounds and up this year and a few of the 4's I put back too.

When I find out the netting schedule, but after last years netting results I was sky high on this years fishing only to be somewhat dissapointed as you were.
I hate to say fishing was "bad" as I did catch quite a few over 5 and one over 6, but I put in allot of time to do it.

I'll post the netting schedule here and as far as fishing after the 30th, your on.

My phone numbers are:
978-667-3117 Mass
508-277-8899 Cell
603-968-9027 Camp at Squam

Give me a call and we can make a plan.

John S.