Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Down Riggers

As per Fishlessman's vote, I hear the Fishlanders' are excellent. I know Alan at AJs had recommended like many the Big Jon's Capt. Paks...Fishlander got the "guy" who worked on the riggers and the Fishlander's appears to be just like the Big Jon's only you get a little more for the money. I've got tow electric Canon Mag 10s -- they work and pretty well -- but if I got 2 more I'd get the electric Fishlanders...

Re: Re: Down Riggers

I'll second the vote for electrics....the first time you have a triple on you will be very glad you are not trying to crank thouse weights up!! I'll also second the thought of starting with two downriggers. I run two and then can either stack two rods on each or run leadcore rigs. I personally prefer to catch salmon on my light downrigger rods but I'll bet I caught at least as many fish on leadcore as with the downriggers this year. SO, I'd say start with two riggers, get stacking releases in case you want to troll two lines per weight and then get a couple leadcore rigs and run both. I use "outrigger" rod holders (Cabelas) that drop into my existing rod holders on the boat. These let my long leadcore rods lie almost flat to the water to get them about 8' away from the side of the boat, reducing tangles.

Re: Re: Re: Down Riggers

I agree with starting with two downriggers.
you can stack those and run 2 leadcores thats six lines so you need 3 licenies in the baot. Easytroller makes a troll plate that fits on your engine. I have been using one on my starcrft islander all season. I don't think trolling will hurt your engine and you will have to pick the idea up with a troll plate just like you wouldn't with seabags, Cablelas has troll plates and sea bags in there catolog and online. Here is a link for the trollplate that i use http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/products/motor_accessories/easytroller.htme I'm goin with a trolling motor for next year but thats for fuel economy more that performace of the trollplate I think they would good

Goodluck
Glen L

Re: Re: Re: Re: Down Riggers

Thank you everyone for the advice. A dumb question...what is the difference between a troll pale and a hydrofoil?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Down Riggers

A trolling plate is put on the motor and drops down in back of the prop so it cuts down on the thrust of the motor so it slows the boat down.A hydrofoil is attached to the motor and looks like a wing.It helps plane out your boat at a slower speed.I think you have to drill holes in the motor for the hydrofoil.And I'm not sure about the trolling plate.Maybe some one who has one can help you out with that.Hope this helps.

Erin