Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: any recomendation for fish finder

Chaotic: I and several others have mid-price range Lowrance color GPS / sonar units. I got mine for about $650; much less and you either give up color (don't!) or the GPS...For an extract $100 to your price range give it a thought. I and Big John S. have the 337c, Salty the 332c... Great displays, they work real nice with the Navionics chip (great map of Winni)...There have been a few hardware bugs (dual frequency ducer and GPS cable according to Reel it In), but Lowrance has stood behind them. Don't get the dual frequency ducer -- get the dedictated (smaller, better) 200 KHz. Good time to shop the internet bargains before 07 inventory rolls in.

Re: Re: any recomendation for fish finder

I've said it before, most of the companies seem to lack "qualty control", from the cheapest units to the top of the line, allot of them come off the shelf with some bugs it seems.. However what they lack in quality control they more tham make up for with service, at least Lowrance does. I have the LMS 337, have a problem right now with surface temp, no biggy, I'll send it back and they will I'm sure correct it and update if needed.

I love my 337 and COLOR is the only way to go, with my unit I can say that without any hesitation, it's great resolution, no matter what the outside light conditions are it views perfectly.

I looked at more expensive models and makes, but physical size was a consideration and the "337" was a perfect fit where my old unit was.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Chaotic: I and several others have mid-price range Lowrance color GPS / sonar units. I got mine for about $650; much less and you either give up color (don't!) or the GPS...For an extract $100 to your price range give it a thought. I and Big John S. have the 337c, Salty the 332c... Great displays, they work real nice with the Navionics chip (great map of Winni)...There have been a few hardware bugs (dual frequency ducer and GPS cable according to Reel it In), but Lowrance has stood behind them. Don't get the dual frequency ducer -- get the dedictated (smaller, better) 200 KHz. Good time to shop the internet bargains before 07 inventory rolls in.

Re: Re: Re: any recomendation for fish finder

Lowrance 332c Gps/sonar/200khz transducer/ external antenna/ Great Unit

Re: Re: Re: Re: any recomendation for fish finder

Thanks Guys, if they need some service and you all still recomend them that says alot, a shopping we are going

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: any recomendation for fish finder

Have had several brands and will confirm what is being said about lowrance service. They do a great job at taking care of any issues.

I'm a software quality assurance engineer and get paid to break stuff all day long. In the end quality is not just about the product but also the complete user experience. Everything has bugs. It is a fact. There is a balance of quality products and the service thereafter.

Good luck with finding a new unit (whatever you decide).

Brian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: any recomendation for fish finder

I searched the web last winter on finders around the same price and narrowed it down to 3 units the lowrance DF 107,the Garmin 340C and the furuno FVC-620.All 3 are color finders all have over 300 watts of power for fishing deep and are dual frequencies but I believe you can buy models that are only 1 frequency(200 KHZ)the lowrance come with speed and temp so you don't have to buy them separately.I believe the Garmin does also.The Furuno you have to buy a tri ducer that has speed,temp,and dual frequency and a 2 year warranty.The lowrance had a higher pixels rating than the other 2 as far a screen is concerned.the lowrance and the Garmin are around $500.00 the Furuno is around $800.00 and is digital but you are able to hook your GPS up to it if you want.I went with the Furuno because I fish Lake Ontario and it was highly recomended by people who fish the Lake, also I needed the power for deep water.but I almost went with the DF107 I looked at it at the sportsman show last winter and it is a nice unit for the $$ but color is the only way to go you will love it.I just thought I would put my 2 cents in.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: any recomendation for fish finder

Myself I didn't use the temp/speed sensor that came with my Lowrance 337. I use the 337's GPS for speed and the regular ducer that comes with it has temperature allready.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: any recomendation for fish finder

I should have said "surface temp" in my last post.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: any recomendation for fish finder

John I agree the speed is alway way off on my finder compared to the GPS speed reading.I do use the temp reading for the spring time.I have a cannon temp probe for the summer as far as down speed and temp is concerned and is right on the $ with my GPS speed.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: any recomendation for fish finder

I did the same thing as John S -- i did not install the speed wheel with my 337c...fewer holes in the boat. I just use the GPS speed, which from most of the reports posted seems to be what most people are looking at for speed.