Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MAINE MUSKIE!!

According to local guides, salmon were in Moosehead and many other lakes prior to the construction of dams, meaning prior to about 1900 if not even a little earlier...While most of these inland fisheries are NOW supported by stocking, they were NOT necessarily created by stocking. LLS, lakers and brookies were all indigenous to Moosehead and many other inland water bodies...some for thousands of years. I don't know where are you getting this info from but its not accurate. These fish have been around a lot longer than the 100 years or so we've been keeping records...Each glacial cycle has left some "trapped" inland, the dams more recently.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MAINE MUSKIE!!

Geez... look what happens when you post a picture of a Maine muskie.
Nice fish... must have been a great fight and FUN to catch. I've never caught one, but seems like it would be a blast fishing for them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MAINE MUSKIE!!

Sorry slip. If it had been a Great Lakes muskie I would not have anything to say other than "great." I just can't see any good in Muskies invading Maine waters, not with the decline in sea run Salmon already such a big problem...Eric

P.S. Jay -- there is strong evidence that were historical salmon runs in the Kennebec (very good evidence actually) and perhaps the Adroscoggin as well (iffy evidence). A historical salmon run in the Kennebec would have led them to Moosehead, Brassua and First Roach and most likely many other smaller but deep lakes in central ME connected to the Kennebec drainage. The claim that salmon were in only "four" watersheds before stocking is dated and based more on politics than science at this point...Basically acknowleding a salmon run in the Kennebec would give credence to the "Friend's of Kennebec" goal to remove dams on the Kennebec and there is no $ from the Feds or state of ME to do that.

Am I partial to salmon or what?