Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Last day of the season.

Friday: Fished Squam with my son David, rainy day, no Salmon, a few Bass and two nice Rainbows. Had a good time, stayed dry and warm, when bored David read a book some and I kept looking for Salmon that didn't have lock jaw. Found tons of fish on the graph from 20 to 50 feet, tried everything, no takers. Rainbows caught on Coolwater Streamers, out best fly this year in bad weather.

Saturday: Fished Newfound with Forry on his boat, first time I ever fished there, wanted to go to Winni, but also wanted to fish someplace new. Forry left it to me and as I knew he really likes Newfound that where we went.. Had my doubts when I saw all the boats going the opposite direction on 104, heading towards Winni/away from Newfound.

Turns out we had decent action all morning, best ever for him on that Lake Forry said. Caught 6 or 7 Lakers and two real nice Bows, nothing huge but all nice fish, a few got off too. About all came on Flies off Riggers, then later spoons, a few off lead core as well, a decent mix.

Beautifull day, got chilly around 3:00 and I was ready to call it a season, but not Forry, stayed till about 5:00.

Talked with Fish r Man, and Rock Bottom, both did well with Lakers too, talked with some others, same thing, no Salmon caught all by anyone that we knew of.
Same story all weekend, no Salmon. Looks like same story on most of the Lakes.

Most popular quote for September, "What's with the Salmon"

Had a great season, boy it flew by, caught allot of nice Salmon and even a few good Lakers on Squam, I'll give a break down later this winter whan we are all dreaming of Ice Out.

Actualy glad it's over, I was ready, I'm totaly burnt out.

Met allot of great people and made allot new friends this year as well as the past two years. Best thing about fishing is the folks I keep meeting and I'm sure it will continue in years to come.

2006 also was the year of the "3 Amigos" as nicknamed by Bob Williams (Still Fishin) the 3 of us had never met before this season and we truly became great buddies on and off the Lake.

Have a nice winter all of you, I may try Ice Fishing, but most of my fishing should be south of the Mason Dixon line, way south and probably not in fresh water.

John S.

Re: Last day of the season.

Didn't see your boat on Squam today. You made a wise choice going to Newfound. Fishing was very slow as it has been all year. No one at Deep Haven Sat. AM and only 4 boats in Sandwich. Got one small Salmon about 12 inches at 42 feet. Saw very few fish on the fish finder, although one almost jumped in the boat. Saw more fish in Deep haven.
Spoke to fisherman on two other boats and both had caught 3 small bass.
Saturday evening very slow. Three boats in deep Haven, and by 6:00 PM only myself.
Hope next year is better. See you on the ice.

Re: Re: Last day of the season.

Strange, we saw allot of fish at Kent and Sandwich and none at Deephaven, maybe they were Bass ????

A friend told me today that the Salmon fooled us all this year, they were in 2' to 10' of water the last few weekks for pre-spawn allready and we are all fishing deeper. Wish I knew that last week, LOL.

I'll have to make a note of that, when we can't see them on the fishfinder in September it could be like Spring conditions, they are shallow on the shoreline.

I don't ice fish, but might give it a try or vist some guys that do.

See you next Spring,

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Last day of the season.

I have to agreee 100%%%% we are now officially known as the "3 Amigo's" and i wouldn't have it any other way Great Guys Great Friendships Doesn't get any better then that!!!!!!!!!! or as the commercial goes That's "Priceless" Is it April 1st yet UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Take Care God Bless and Yes you are coming Ice fishing with the other 2 Amigo's this winter LOL LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Last day of the season.

Big John -- that had been my guess -- salmon were in pre-spawn mode -- when people seemed to be catching nothing but lakers the last few weeks. Did anyone try trolling shallow and if so any results?

Just goes to show how much there is still to learn about these fish.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Last day of the season.

I tried shallow, but I didn't try along the shorelines as close as I probably should have, oh well. The'll be there next year and another 2 pounds bigger maybe, we didnt catch any 5 pounders in September, actually not many Salmon at all in September.

I'm hoping we can get more information from Adrien on age/size difference, etc. of Salmon Great Lakes Vs out Lakes. He brought out some interesrting facts that kind of back up my comments earlier about spawning age, etc.

I'm going to reply to hos post and see if we can get some real good facts and info on the subject.. But it does seems like 5 and 6 pounders are ready for harvest on our Lakes.

John S.
John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Big John -- that had been my guess -- salmon were in pre-spawn mode -- when people seemed to be catching nothing but lakers the last few weeks. Did anyone try trolling shallow and if so any results?

Just goes to show how much there is still to learn about these fish.