Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: best salmon lure???

This year. nh guide topgun and smelt gun. Wonder bread topgun or jim's lure. Red head needle fish and red head smelt gun. Also and older siver with green stripe Db smelt I fished from april to sept and it caught fish most days and a couple speedy shinners brass/red stripe.

Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

In my opinion anything orange with black dots is the best on lake winni. I caught more fish by far on smelt guns in that color. I would have to disagree about putting away the Db's and 61 guns in late summer. I was on vacation in mid august and I have to say I caught a 3lb plus rainbow and salmon on a db guide. With the 61 gun I was using a metallic red color with black dots the back side was copper, this lure did nothing all summer but in late august with a good salmon chop on darker days I caught several 3lb + salmon and those fish hit very hard. I also did very well with a smelt gun that was kind of a mix of colors metallic reddish purple with black dots and copper on the back got alot of nice salmon and lakers on that one. Last you need to have a watermelon chev chase this lure pulled through for me when all others failed. My set up for lead is the following I use 14lb leadcore with a 75foot 14lb mono leader these are connected with a uni knot; then I attach a small barrel swivel to the end of the 14lb mono and attach a rods length of 8lb fluorcarbon last I use a duo lock snap swivel at the end of the fluoro it makes for changeing lures alot quicker. These are thin swivels and are rated for 20lbs. Good Luck!

Re: Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

White/orange spook DB (Black tape cut with pinking shears) for salmon
Orange spook DB ( orange both sides) white tape cut with pinking shears, both sides, for rainbows
peckerhead sutton (44?) for lake carp.
Good year, no real giants, 3 lakers over 6, 2 Sunapee/1 Newfound...I 4.5 bow/Newfound
1 double yellow beaded fly/Winnie
Lots of new friends.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

Hey Popeye,

What'd ya catch the new friends on ??????

I agree 100%, I feel the friendship you and I developed will be a laating one and I don't even hunt.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

White/orange spook DB (Black tape cut with pinking shears) for salmon
Orange spook DB ( orange both sides) white tape cut with pinking shears, both sides, for rainbows
peckerhead sutton (44?) for lake carp.
Good year, no real giants, 3 lakers over 6, 2 Sunapee/1 Newfound...I 4.5 bow/Newfound
1 double yellow beaded fly/Winnie
Lots of new friends.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

Caught 1 on a DB (thumb) and a bunch more on film!!
Yah Captian, we had fun, with lots more to come. You will have to hang out on Long Island during the derby next year, that was a real blast this year hanging around Adriens dad and all the stories that got told.
Throbbin Rods puts on a pretty good bash.....Great jerky, but he knows who the chili king is!!

Love to hunt, more than fish, thats why I take the whole month of November off!!!

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

Yo Bro - you don't seem to knock my chili when your mouth is full LOL, you know it is good, yours is good, just different.
I would have to say that the one lure that did best for me this year was the NH Guide with the brass colored back that I bought from Jason over at Paugus - I need to get me about 6 more of those.
I echo the sentiment of good friends, everytime we get together it gets better. Looking forward to the gathering, the coming spring season, and the derby, hopefully by then I'll have a job or a business?!?!?!?

Going out duck hunting tomorrow, got my first banded bird ever on Tuesday, only took me 28 years!
Leaving Tuesday for FL to meet my new grandson, that boy is a wall hanger at 9.5 lbs, 21.5 inches.
later, this old man is going to bed
Throbbin Rods out!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

Hey Throbbin Rods, Did you ever get those emails i sent you??????????? If not let me know and ill send them again. Take Care God Bless and Good Hunting LOL Dave From up NOrth