Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

In my opinion anything orange with black dots is the best on lake winni. I caught more fish by far on smelt guns in that color. I would have to disagree about putting away the Db's and 61 guns in late summer. I was on vacation in mid august and I have to say I caught a 3lb plus rainbow and salmon on a db guide. With the 61 gun I was using a metallic red color with black dots the back side was copper, this lure did nothing all summer but in late august with a good salmon chop on darker days I caught several 3lb + salmon and those fish hit very hard. I also did very well with a smelt gun that was kind of a mix of colors metallic reddish purple with black dots and copper on the back got alot of nice salmon and lakers on that one. Last you need to have a watermelon chev chase this lure pulled through for me when all others failed. My set up for lead is the following I use 14lb leadcore with a 75foot 14lb mono leader these are connected with a uni knot; then I attach a small barrel swivel to the end of the 14lb mono and attach a rods length of 8lb fluorcarbon last I use a duo lock snap swivel at the end of the fluoro it makes for changeing lures alot quicker. These are thin swivels and are rated for 20lbs. Good Luck!

Re: Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

White/orange spook DB (Black tape cut with pinking shears) for salmon
Orange spook DB ( orange both sides) white tape cut with pinking shears, both sides, for rainbows
peckerhead sutton (44?) for lake carp.
Good year, no real giants, 3 lakers over 6, 2 Sunapee/1 Newfound...I 4.5 bow/Newfound
1 double yellow beaded fly/Winnie
Lots of new friends.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

Hey Popeye,

What'd ya catch the new friends on ??????

I agree 100%, I feel the friendship you and I developed will be a laating one and I don't even hunt.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

White/orange spook DB (Black tape cut with pinking shears) for salmon
Orange spook DB ( orange both sides) white tape cut with pinking shears, both sides, for rainbows
peckerhead sutton (44?) for lake carp.
Good year, no real giants, 3 lakers over 6, 2 Sunapee/1 Newfound...I 4.5 bow/Newfound
1 double yellow beaded fly/Winnie
Lots of new friends.

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

Caught 1 on a DB (thumb) and a bunch more on film!!
Yah Captian, we had fun, with lots more to come. You will have to hang out on Long Island during the derby next year, that was a real blast this year hanging around Adriens dad and all the stories that got told.
Throbbin Rods puts on a pretty good bash.....Great jerky, but he knows who the chili king is!!

Love to hunt, more than fish, thats why I take the whole month of November off!!!

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

Yo Bro - you don't seem to knock my chili when your mouth is full LOL, you know it is good, yours is good, just different.
I would have to say that the one lure that did best for me this year was the NH Guide with the brass colored back that I bought from Jason over at Paugus - I need to get me about 6 more of those.
I echo the sentiment of good friends, everytime we get together it gets better. Looking forward to the gathering, the coming spring season, and the derby, hopefully by then I'll have a job or a business?!?!?!?

Going out duck hunting tomorrow, got my first banded bird ever on Tuesday, only took me 28 years!
Leaving Tuesday for FL to meet my new grandson, that boy is a wall hanger at 9.5 lbs, 21.5 inches.
later, this old man is going to bed
Throbbin Rods out!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best salmon lure???

Hey Throbbin Rods, Did you ever get those emails i sent you??????????? If not let me know and ill send them again. Take Care God Bless and Good Hunting LOL Dave From up NOrth