Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: lake draw down

That's a very touchy subject. We have web site that list and monitors all the Big Lake heights, etc. in NH. http://www.des.state.nh.us/rti_home/ Check it out, all lakes we fish are listed.

As far as Squam goes it says right on the web site they do not start the draw down until Columbus Day. However, the guy that controls it says "traditionaly we start to lower the Lake mid August". I have asked why they don't follow the guide lines on the web site and can't get an answer. They start to draw it down long before Labor Day (first week in August) by Labor day it can be 1 foot or more lower, by Columbus day it was over 2 feet lower this year.

I asked Fish and Game for some help here and it was like pouring salt in an open wound. They fight with them all the time, and get nowhere. Not sure when but the told me about one year Newfond was drawn down after the Lakers spawned and left the eggs high and dry. They still draw Newfound down early ?????

I checked Winni and they do leave that one full at least to Columbus Day.

It has more to do with Lake Associations and politics than the lakes users and fish needs evidently. I have Photos of my dock took two weeks ago, if I didn't find a guy that let me put her over there my boat would have been sitting totaly in sand by Columbus Day. Same thing happens every year, they never wait until Columbus Day.

I think it's outrageous that full use of the Lake is not given until at least Labor Day, but if NH Fish and Game can't get any help here how can we, they both have the same boss. Can't beat City Hall if they can't work together themselves.

I've often wondered if the Lake level effects the fishing that much ????

John S.

Re: Re: lake draw down

the thing that really got me wondering is that there is a fish ladder above me on the river with no water flowing on it. they wouldnt put a fish ladder if there wasnt supposed to be salmon climbing it. there is really only 2 good rivers for spawnining that i can see on the lake, would think they would want to take advantage of it. im betting that the ladder isnt even watched to see if there are fish on it. someone detiermined that money was needed to be spent on the ladder and that the fishery needed it, and someone that wants sand on their beach decided that we dont need fish in the pond. cant even see how this is supposed to make the beaches better anyways. it amazes me who is in control somedays. this cant be good and its a shame that the salmon in sebago where most of them came from, arent getting the respect they deserve. i could be off base with this as i dont know enough about it, but it doesnt seem right to me.

Re: Re: Re: lake draw down

Politics my friend. One of the reasons they draw it down is for shore maintenance by land owners like you pointed out, but most people are afraid these days to do a thing to the shoreline, who kows what you can do and what you can't withiut getting into trouble..

Main thing is you would think the powers to be could work together.

Maybe we need a lobyist for fisherman ???

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

the thing that really got me wondering is that there is a fish ladder above me on the river with no water flowing on it. they wouldnt put a fish ladder if there wasnt supposed to be salmon climbing it. there is really only 2 good rivers for spawnining that i can see on the lake, would think they would want to take advantage of it. im betting that the ladder isnt even watched to see if there are fish on it. someone detiermined that money was needed to be spent on the ladder and that the fishery needed it, and someone that wants sand on their beach decided that we dont need fish in the pond. cant even see how this is supposed to make the beaches better anyways. it amazes me who is in control somedays. this cant be good and its a shame that the salmon in sebago where most of them came from, arent getting the respect they deserve. i could be off base with this as i dont know enough about it, but it doesnt seem right to me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: lake draw down

I always thought they drew the lakes down in the fall to allow for spring run off so we don't have a high water condistion in the spring. Never heard of the sand on the beach reason. When we have a lot of snow or a realy wet spring high water damages a of docks washes bad things into the lake an we end up with headway speed restrictions which is bad for the local economy and causes other problems. I don't realy like how they draw it way down in fall ethier. Had to take my boat out last wekend cuase in another week it would be sitting in the sand at the dock. Never thought about the spawning impact especialy lakers you make a good point.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: lake draw down

It sure does seem to be as low as I have ever seen it drawn down. I was showing properties today on the lake and people now own more land as their lots are longer as the water is so far away from normal shoreline. (Maybe the towns are looking to raise more revenue by taxing the additional land(: