Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wanna go hunting???

I know this is short notice... BUT its a great deal and a great time. Read on...

The camp I stay at in PA has room for several more hunters the week I'm going back (10/28-11/04).

It is still archery-only season for deer, but turkey season will be open as well. You can use bow or firearm for turkey out there and either hen or tom.

This hunt would be BUCK only, as the doe permits for the area are sold out. A LEGAL buck in that area of PA has to have at least three points (one inch each) on one side of the rack. This law has been in effect for four years, so there are many legal bucks. When I was out there two weeks ago, I saw several 8 and 10 points that made my jaw drop.

It is $126 for the hunting license and archery permit. The turkey license is already included in the PA hunting license, so no extra cost. You will need to show proof of a past archery license from your home state, PA or an archery safety certificate. Licenses can be bought over the counter when you arrive.

Rich just wants to fill the empty spaces in camp... so instead of the normal $600, he said he'd take $350. This includes the stay at the camp... light breakfast before hunt... hearty breakfast after morning hunt... and big dinner after evening hunt. The trip is worth it for the food alone. LOL

He puts you in a GENERAL area where he has been seeing deer, but lets you decide what tree or run you want to hunt. I guess you could call it semi-guided. If you want, you can go off on your own and find your own area. Whatever makes you happy. I like to feel as though I did it myself, so I scouted all my own areas. Worked for me. (Climbing stands, ladders or hang-ons all are fine... just NO screw in steps. I use the strap on climbing sticks.)

Its a lot of fun. Rich is a great guy and his wife, Janice, is a great cook and great woman.

The only downside I can think of... to be up front with everyone... Rich has four dogs that stay in the "main room" of camp. If you don't like dogs, you won't like the trip. Also, because of the dogs, you may want to leave your hunting clothes in your vehicle or your room. (Dogs do not go in the bedrooms)

Lastly, the camp is a camp. If you go, don't expect the Ritz. But, you will have a warm bed, showers, television and great food.

The trip out there... Clearfield/Dubois area... takes 8 1/2 to 10 hours, depending on how you drive. I average 9 hours each way.

Anyone interested, or wanting more info, can email me at the above address. I can give you directions or we can meet up and you can follow me. I think I have one or two guys riding out with me already... if that changes, I may be able to fit another in my truck.

Good luck to everyone this season.

Re: Wanna go hunting???

How's the fishin down there, LOL ???

I just got back from Squam with my boat, the "Barge" is sitting in my drive way now, ready to go south.

Boy now that it's out of the water, I see I have allot of work to do to get ready for "ice out".

Last March I was so icthy to work on the boat and get er ready, but she was back at the Lake, behind a big snow/ice bank, all shrink wrapped with another dozen boats in front of her.

At least it's here now a little more cleaning, a few minor repairs, put all the gear away in the garage and we will cover it up.

By the way, normally I get about 16 mpg coming back from the lake, with the boat I got about 8 mpg, good thing we will only do this twice a year. I feel for you guys that trailer 100/200 miles round trip every time out. ugh.

Have a nice trip Craig, keep in touch.

John S.
"With the Barge home at last"

Re: Re: Wanna go hunting???

Sounds good Slipnot but I am a little busy. maybe next year.

Popeye