(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

hey charlie.
think i might have talked to you the last day of the season.
I have to put it on the starboard side because there is a ladder platform on the port side. the fish hawk is a speed and temp transducer on the other side of the motor also. after finally finding some one to set this thing up i hope the transducer is not going to be another hurdle. i think i will give raymarine a call before i do anything, thanks.
hoping some of the other guys on the site have set them up on the same side w/ no problems

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

Yes we did talk a little the on the last day of the season. I would for sure call and get some input on the kicker being next to the transducer. All you need next for your kicker is the controll king that unit is one of the best things I have installed in the last 5-years!!! What did you get for a kicker motor??

Charlie

Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

if everything works out i will be getting the suzuki 9.9, i also will be having them put on the controll king while they are at it. i have seen alot of posts on here about it. i am so tired of using a drift bag, it works great off the tow loops on the transom but i am putting alot hours on the big motor just trolling around

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

I think that's a good choice on the motor. I love my Johnson 4 stroke 9.9.. I believe it is made by suzuki. My transducer is on the same side, only my trim tabs are closer to center than yours. My kicker is mounted where your trim tabs are located.

Salty

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

salty,
suzuki does make the johnson 4 strokes. good to hear you like it. how far left or right is your transducer from the shaft of the kicker? how far beyond does the bracket put the shaft past the transducer?

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

I think about the same distance yours is from the big motor. (You use your big motor for trolling now right?) If it doesn't effect the tranducer it shouldn't with the kicker either. Yours will be about the same as mine I think, if your mounting on the starboard side. Only difference is yours will be behind the trim tab. Where your trim tab is now is where my kicker is mounted. If you want I'll go out and measure tomorrow. (Boat is wrapped but I think I can still do it.)
Will it effect the opperation of the trim tabs??

Salty

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

I believe as long as your transducer is out of the prop wash you should be fine.My last boat I had the transducer on the same side as the kicker and had no problems.How do you like your Suzuki I have the 140 4 stroke.they are so quite that I forgot to shut it down one time and trolled for 6 hours before I saw it was still running(Duh)You will love the control king my friend has one and it's awesome I'm going to put one on this year also.Good luck with the Kicker.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

salty,
they are going to put a Garelick bracket on to push the kicker out beyond the trim tabs when it is locked in the down position, so it should not affect the use of the trim tabs i hope. no need to go crazy getting measurements on yours, but if it is accessible i would be curious to know, thanks.

erin,
that is good news, this site is great, you can go any where and people will tell you they can do this and they can do that, but getting input from people that actually have it in use helps a ton. i will definitely call raymarine like charlie suggested for their thoughts.
like the motor a lot, like you say it is quiet, always double checking when i am pulling it out of the water to make sure I've shut it off!

thanks for all the help, any other thoughts are welcome

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

My transducer is 9" over from the center (about the same as yours) The prop of the kicker is around 3' away from the transducer. One thing you should check is if you can steer the motor with the kicker tilted without removing the easy steer. I bought the Garelick with 15" drop and the handle interferes with the steering when tilted. (when traveling with the big motor) It's a long reach to remove the easy steer each time, so I run it with the kicker straight up as high as I can raise it and make sure the motor is in neutral. I don't know what size mount you are going to install but mine is oversized. It's rated for a 25hp four stroke. The reason for the big handle. I only have to drop it one notch to troll. (I guess I was figuring on being able to lift it higher out out the water without having to tilt it to travel) Hope you can make some sense out of this. I'm curious as to how they are going to mount the bracket with the trim tab where it is??

Salty

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

salty,
thank you for the measurements
the garelick model # is 71090 or 71091, it measures 8" wide x 12" in length, the space to the right of the trim tab piston is 12x 14 very tight. bracket has to be through bolted and the live well is right there. raymarine wants 3" prop clearance below transducer & 2' left or right. they said i may not have any interference but it is possible that there would be. the prop on the big motor is 30" away from the transducer and to the best of my figuring the kicker prop would be about 23". my transducer is actualy 19" from the center of the mounting bracket of the big motor and best case it would be 16" from the center of the kicker bracket. i believe the travel from up to down is 21" on that bracket.
getting concerned about this thing working out. I will talk more w/the marina, looks like there is going to be a few more hurdles that might have been overlooked.

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

there are two garelick brackets for 4 strokes
1 has 9 inches of vertical travel and other has 15 inches of travel. ONLY GET THE 1 WITH 15 INCHES!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

adrien,

that would be the 71901. (i read the specs wrong 1st time) vertical travel is 15 1/8". distance from transom to motor mount face is 10 1/8" up position to 16 7/8 down position. can you see it working out to the right of the trim tabs? i think when it is all said and done it might create quite an obstacle for the downrigger and when landing a fish.

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

Mine is right on the edge and no problem landing fish. Got to be real careful docking on the starboard side. If you have the space to mount it where you say you will be golden. I think yours will be mounted higher from the water than mine.

Salty

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

ilucas,
I would have to second getting the one that drops down 15 inchs.On my other boat I mounted my bracket a little to high.When I was in rough water and the motor was all the way down on the bracket the motor would come out of the water.but in clam waters it ran great I also used an easy steer that works great.It looks like you have a heavy of enough boat so you should have no problem but It's just a thought.Good luck.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

salty,
no problem w/ the downriggers?
ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

No problem. I have 2 0n that side. I run one at 90 degrees and the one behind the kicker at 45.

Salty

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for u guys w/ kickers

thanks salty,

ilucas