Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Downrigger Weights (Balls, Lead-Fish, Or Pancakes)

I have both cannon balls and torpedos(13 lb for all of them)I find that 0 to 60 feet down I don't have that much blow back with the cannon balls but if I go below 60 feet I start to get some blow back so I go with the topedo's they track strait and have less blow back than the balls at that depth I also run a Cannon temp probe so the topedos help on that riggers.I have used the pancake weight but they seem to wander a little I had a tangle that lost me $$ worth of gear so I don't use them but there are some who really like them.There is also the fish weights that work good also they pull down on the cable for less blow back.They also have this weight called the shark weight very heavy cost $$ but seems to cut the blow back way down when you deep.Sorry for the babbling.Just my 2 cents.Good luck.

Erin

Re: Re: Downrigger Weights (Balls, Lead-Fish, Or Pancakes)

Whats a Torpedo????

I've used Pancakes, regular cannon balls and fish shaped, all 10 pounders. I think the Pancakes have been the best for me, but not really sure.

I do think I will go up in weight for at least one side next season for the blow back problem. I will use the heavier one on my Davis rig side. However, the other side I might try 8 pound cannon ball for my "Popeye Flasher" rig, that should really produce some crazy action. I can allways switch em up a bit too, on Squam you allways have extra balls on board..

We do loose the pankakes on the screen when we are down 70 feet or more and trolling over 2 mph, so I'm guessing they are at least 20 feet back from the boat
which would raise them up considerably. Fortunately we don't go that deep very often on Squam.

John S.
"Who's still enjoying the time off from fishing" (hard to believe, eh)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have both cannon balls and torpedos(13 lb for all of them)I find that 0 to 60 feet down I don't have that much blow back with the cannon balls but if I go below 60 feet I start to get some blow back so I go with the topedo's they track strait and have less blow back than the balls at that depth I also run a Cannon temp probe so the topedos help on that riggers.I have used the pancake weight but they seem to wander a little I had a tangle that lost me $$ worth of gear so I don't use them but there are some who really like them.There is also the fish weights that work good also they pull down on the cable for less blow back.They also have this weight called the shark weight very heavy cost $$ but seems to cut the blow back way down when you deep.Sorry for the babbling.Just my 2 cents.Good luck.

Erin

Re: Re: Downrigger Weights (Balls, Lead-Fish, Or Pancakes)

ive never heard of the shark weight before. didnt know so much could be said about a downrigger weight
http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store/Shark_Cannonball_Downrigger_Weights.htm
ive just been using round 12 pound balls that are painted chartruese yellow. the paint has made a difference for me

Re: Re: Re: Downrigger Weights (Balls, Lead-Fish, Or Pancakes)

Fishlessman these weights are made for a deep water troll if you look at the color charts and what colors are lost as you get deeper in the water and what is visable,nickel and blue and Black is one of the best color to use when deep trolling all my weights are black.I have been using the torpedoes for the past 2 years and I love them I have used the Tru Trac balls for 20 + years and I still do but there are also some other weight out the that will blow your mind I will find the site and post it in the morning.Talk to you later.

Erin