Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question About 50 H.P 4 Stroke Mercury Help Needed

As a reference, my last boat, 17' aluminum, about 1100 pounds empty was powered by a 60 hp Merc 4-stroke (248 pounds)and I could not slow it down to less than 2.2 - 2.4 mph as measured by my GPS. Had to put on an Easy Troller (about $100.00) which got it down to less than 1/2 mph.
Allot depends on the loaded weight of the boat and the hull type.
Unless your 16' boat is heavy, I doubt you will get down to laker speed if that is what you want.
Hope that helps.

Re: Re: Question About 50 H.P 4 Stroke Mercury Help Needed

Thanks Starfire. Did your rpms run around 550. The boat I am looking at is just about the same weight. Looks I will need to use something to slow it down. Thanks Again.

Re: Re: Re: Question About 50 H.P 4 Stroke Mercury Help Needed

Triple D,
Sorry but I do not recall my RPM/Speed curves but I do remember that simply hanging a 5 gallon bucket on one side slowed it down to 1.5 or so but the plate cured everything, allot quicker to deploy, easier to use and it doesn't pull the boat one way or another. Just make sure you get one that is spring hinged, no shear pins to worry about when you "gun it" forgetting you have it down.....Depending on your engine size, some folks will advise you to get a kicker engine for trolling, but a 50/60 4-stroke can troll all day with minimum fuel consumption as oppossed to the larger ones. However it is hard too argue that having another engine aboard will almost always get you home!
Good luck,
Bob

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question About 50 H.P 4 Stroke Mercury Help Needed

I have a 50hp Merc 4 stroke on my boat, a 1750 Crestliner Fishawk. I can troll at 1.0 to 1.5mph at 800rpm's without a drift sock, buckets or trolling plate.

Dean

Triple D

For what it is worth I have a 50 HP Honda Four Stroke on a Lund Alaskan 1600 and after a little adjustment on the idle screw I am able to get down to about 1.5-1.7 mph.

i run a merc60 4 stroke on an aluminum 20 alaskan the slowest i can go without a plate is 3MPH and still maintain charging . put on the large happy troller plate and cut the plate down and can maintain .5 -3.5 mph.
if the merc has the bigfoot gearcase it will only make it worse - you may be able to idle it way down , but will the charging system maintain ?

my02

Rick

Re: Re: Question About 50 H.P 4 Stroke Mercury Help Needed

Great pointers and help. Sounds like it may or maynot troll slow enought. With out help. I basicly wanted to know if what the dealer was saying was true. Thanks for the help every one.

Re: Re: Re: Question About 50 H.P 4 Stroke Mercury Help Needed

I have a 50hp Honda on a 1,100 pound boat. I can get in down to 1.5 mph but that’s pushing it. If you want to fish with live bait get a plate!!!

Charlie