Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Non - Lead core questions

YoAdrien Great post.Every thing you said makes so much since.Thanks you have been a great help I need to set up a couple of lead cores for the lake but was going to go with the 27 lb core but 18 lb it is I will also look up the speed master reel I know where your coming from I use SG47LC for my wire dipsey set up at lake ontario and at 4:1 reeling in 500 feet of wire and a 20 plus lb king it takes forever I wish they would make a good linecounter that has 5:1 or better ratio.Thanks again for the post.

Erin

Re: Non - Lead core questions

weeble. did you just mean Mono line?

Re: Re: Non - Lead core questions

No, there is non lead, weighted line. Not sure if this is a new alternative to lead line. Looking for advice on lead line or non lead line. Rod/Reel and advice I would think would be the same for both.

Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Non - Lead core questions

So much me thinking i could facilitate the discussion.

Floydo....Embarrassed and humbled.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Non - Lead core questions

Don't be embarrassed Floydo, I was thinking that's what he meant also.
Cal

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

So much me thinking i could facilitate the discussion.

Floydo....Embarrassed and humbled.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Non - Lead core questions

thanks, Cal. You made me feel better.
Good to hear from you.

Re: Non - Lead core questions

ive never used the non lead, i dont think it sinks as fast as the leaded kind. 18 pound lead line is my choice. i like big fly reels for full lead setups, its slower to wind, but i like the drags better on the fly reels.any flyrod 6 or 7 weight works fine. for conventional reels i use old penns and like the okuma blue diamond rods for down riggers over the yellow eagle claws. they feel a little more responsive, and the gimbal mount on the handle works better for me with the planer board setup on my boat. aj's has a nice setup for a lead core flyrod, see if you can get an 18 pound setup.

Re: Re: Non - Lead core questions

I use 18lb leadcore line also on redington 11/12 +13/14 weight fly reels on 7 weight eagle claw fly rods . the fight on the fly rod is alittle more work but when theirs a good fish on and you get it to the boat it's a great feeling. I put 100 feet of 12lb ice fishing line ,then double spool of 18lb leadcore to a swivel and usually 40 feet of 8lb vanish or berkley iron silk depending on the time of year and conditions. have had 12 colors out before and caught salmon and had 10 colors out and hit bottom at 45 feet. " reel it in"