Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Questions

I was told to top mine off and put in Stabil... Haven't done it yet, though. I'd like to hear the thoughts on this too.

Re: Re: Questions

anyone that was paid to "winterize" a boat would have definately added stabil to the gas. if you do top it off be sure to add more stabil in relation to the new anount of gas you put in or the ratio will be too thin and may not protect your gas.

top it or not is personal preferance. leave it like it is and throw some dry-gas in in the spring if you are nervous about condensation. also don't tippity-top it off to leave some room for possible expansion / contraction.

Re: Re: Re: Questions

We (Rob & I) put stabil in his boat every year after we winterize it and have never had a problem with bad gas in the spring, just as an added procaution we still always put a bottle of dry gas in first time out though. I put stabil in all of my stuff, Lawn Mower, D.R. Trimmer, Nephew's motorbike, and antique 3 wheeler and have never had bad gas come spring or summer I def. think it's worth what little money it costs Just my .02 Take Care God Bless and Good Hunting LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions

John, I told you already that there is no reason to put your boat away for the winter. ha ha. There is only real ice for 2.5 months a year up here. Rivers can be used during this time as well. :) I will winterize in mid to late December like the rest of us crazy bass fisherman. It ain't over until I hear that crunching sound against the bow on the way into the ramp.

Regarding winterizing, ethanol fuel can really change the way fuel sits in a tank over the winter. You can search for this and find way more information, experiences, and opinions that I could ever write in here.

Mecury for as long as I have owned their motors have always said to not top off but to definately add stabilizer. Not sure what other manufacturers say but I would follow what they say. Some people say that you should drain it down all to empty which makes the most sense but not that easy.

Regards,
Brian

Re: Questions

John
Talk to the guys at Goodue Marine at Harilla's about a temporary dock space - they are reasonable on price, especially early in the season before all the pleasure boaters put their rigs in. Talk to Brett
later
Throbbin Rods

Re: Re: Questions

Thanks, I'll give em a call.

Whers's your brother these days ??? Only kidding, we have been playing phone tag for about two weeks.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Questions

John: everything I've read / heard from Honda techs says to top off the tank with "regular" unleaded (Honda 4 strokes are actually designed for lower octane fuel) and to add enough "stabil" for the full volume of the tank.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating. I did all this last year and the engine fired up first try and ran great all year. Now I'm superstitious.

-Eric

Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions

Thanks, perhaps each engine company has it's own idea, as mine is a Honda, I'll take your advice, certainly can't hurt..

I have to do something quick and get the her out of my driveway ASAP. Every time I look out my office window I see her sittin there all covered up, lookin to "go on the prowl". If I don't have to look at it, "out of sight, out of mind", maybe.

Thanks again,

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions

I know how you feel. I'm not a hunter either, so its pretty depressing seeing the boat in the driveway and knowing I won't be on her again for several months...I thought I'd get one more trip in (thinking our season ran through Oct.) and found out it closed on 10/15 while I was away at a conference. Bummer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions

I have used Store and Start in both my boats since new in 1987 and never have a problem in the spring.I add a little more than called for to a tankful then top off the tank with gas so that it gets mixed,then run the engine till it's at operating temp,first fog it with a mixture of store and start,mistery oil,and merc 2 cycle oil,get it smoking real good,then put the merc fogging oil to it until it dies,then take all the drain plugs out of the engine,and then just turn it over till smoke comes out of all the ports.Just my 2cents

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions

Eric, you mention that they told you to use "regular" unleaded but did you ask them about E10 fuel?

This is a recent controversy of a sort since E10 is being widely used in more places now and NH is one of them. E10 breaks down so quickly that even stabil may not be able to maintain it for several months. This is what everyone is saying anyways. I myself have not had any issues yet (knock on wood).

Most outboard co's were putting out statements to safeguard themselves more than anything but if you read the fine print, Ethanol is bad for low octane burning engines and also bad for gas that will sit for more than a month.

I would just be cautious and very specific when you ask Honda about this.

Brian