Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: where to place planer reel etc.

You lost me Craig ???? But that easy. But one thing I noticed with Popeye, he uses 150 test mono instead of the nylon, seems to side down real slick.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: where to place planer reel etc.

My mast is the Big Jon style. It sets in a cast base about 3x5 inches. Under the area it (the mounting base) sits is accessible from my cuddy... I did add a 1/4" thick plate of aluminum there this spring. You could see that it was cracking the fiberglass floor a bit before I added the backer plate. So, yes, I'd definite support it as much as possible.

The boat end of the nylon cord is attached to a stainless eyebolt mounted to my gunnel. Its just washered and nutted on the back side as there really is no weight or stress being put on that cord. Even when I let the planer line out that cord has a bit of slack in it.

I actually don't use a true carabiner, but I didn't know what else to call it. Its just a simple/cheapy stainless "carabiner type" thing I bought at Home Depot for like a dollar. (Maybe 2" long?) Nothing special. My nylon line is just 1/8" or 3/16" clothesline. Cheap and easy.

John... I know we used the planer boards a few times while you were on my boat... guess you didn't notice my "system"? Not high tech, but it keeps me from running up to the bow at each release.

I'm headed out tomorrow morning. See you guys in a week.

Re: Re: Re: Re: where to place planer reel etc.

I guess I didn't notice the mounting end that much, only the busines end and I didn't notice anything any different than my own. My wife says I'm not very observant, she's right.

I think it's a good idea to reinforce on the underside where anything that puts allot of stress on the boats structure is mounted.

I'm going to try the mono next year my nylon stuff is getting a bit old, I do have a brand new planer board reel with all new nylon as a back up should the mono not work for my application..

Have a good trip, talk at ya later.

John S.

thanks to all

thanks to all of you for great input.