Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Planer Board Masts: Fishlander vs. Big John?

I give the Otter boards the nod, simple and we never had any trouble with them at all. Not sure if Fishlander makes a planer mast set up ?????? If they do I'm, sure it's similar to Big John's.

I was trying to figure out how to spend my Social Security check the other day,LOL. Now I wonder how the "Electric Planer Board Reels" are, I don't know anyone that has them and they seem a bit pricey, maybe too pricey for what they are ????? They might solve the free wheeling problem we have sometimne with the manual reels, I hate it when that happens.

No matter, I guess they would have to be really good to justify the cost and I'm sure you don't catch anymore fish with them. But I then I might have something Grey Ghost don't have (yet)

John S.

Re: Re: Planer Board Masts: Fishlander vs. Big John?

Gray Ghost is smart enough not buy electric planer board mast, would rather spend the $$ on a new autopilot that has a search and destroy salmon hunter feature.

Re: Re: Re: Planer Board Masts: Fishlander vs. Big John?

Eric... definitely go with otter boats...

The Fishlander planer mast actually seemed better built to me than the Big Jon mast. Only reason I have the Big Jon is I bought the three pieces as a set. If I were to do it again I'd pay the extra 30 bucks to buy the Fishlander mast seperately. I saw one at Martels Bait Shop in Laconia and if memory serves correctly it was telescoping in height to fit your needs... also had the removable base.

Your the man, thumbs on the auto planer reel, I'm in on the "auto pilot search and destroy".

It is really expensive for what you get, I allmost fell off my chair when I saw what they wanted for them.

Now this search and destroy unit, how much is it, LOL.

How's it going, do you hunt ??

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Gray Ghost is smart enough not buy electric planer board mast, would rather spend the $$ on a new autopilot that has a search and destroy salmon hunter feature.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer Board Masts: Fishlander vs. Big John?

Only hunt things with fins. The search and destroy is in the R&D phase, it will take a billions $$$$$$$$$$$ to come up with the prototype, I’m hard at work on the problem; going to need your SS check to get the project on schedule.

Been doing some upgrades to the fishing machine; just finished replacing the trailer brakes and one brake line after 60K + miles; added a flood light to the rocket launcher bar for early morning setup; adding back up lights to the trailer, waiting for the mounting brackets to finish; the next thing on the list is to changing out the old autopilot and the list goes on and on. The mild weather has been on my side.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer Board Masts: Fishlander vs. Big John?

Gus,

I hear ya on only hunting things with "fins".

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but exactly just what does the auto pilot do. I heared you guys talk/mention it some, but not sure what it really does ? Could I use it on my barge ya think ???

John S.

Replying to:

Only hunt things with fins. The search and destroy is in the R&D phase, it will take a billions $$$$$$$$$$$ to come up with the prototype, I’m hard at work on the problem; going to need your SS check to get the project on schedule.

Been doing some upgrades to the fishing machine; just finished replacing the trailer brakes and one brake line after 60K + miles; added a flood light to the rocket launcher bar for early morning setup; adding back up lights to the trailer, waiting for the mounting brackets to finish; the next thing on the list is to changing out the old autopilot and the list goes on and on. The mild weather has been on my side.

Gray ghost You have a lund like me do you already have autopilot hooked up on your boat?I would love to get it but I'm not sure if I could come up with the $$.My wife is still in shock from me rigging the new boat.I think it might be to soon to hit her with another big $$ item.But If I did want to get one (LOL) what type do you use or would you recomend.Thanks in advance.

Erin

Erbyjoe,
I presently have a Raymarine Sports Pilot, been on the boat since 2000 and has been giving me trouble ever since, time for a divorce. In the first year, had it in for repair 4 times. Fortunately, they were only 7 miles away and could run it over to them and wait for it to be repaired. They have discontinued this model, good move.

Looking at the AP12R from Simrad very seriously. There are very few autopilots that will support a cable steering system, there are mostly for hydraulic systems. There are a lot of guys on the Great Lakes using them and have not heard any complaint about the AP12 on forums.

John S,
You sure could use one, especially when you are fishing alone fighting a fish, helping buddy land a fish “that is with a net”, playing with tackle, setting lines and just plain relaxing.

I’ve had one for the last 25 years and would not be with out one; my first one was only a steer to heading type, because Al Gore had not invented GPS then. Today’s AP units with GPS inputs will steer to a heading, steer to a waypoints or use a route. The steer to heading is when you point the boat (barge in your case) to a direction and then activate the AP it will keep the boat on that course. The steer to waypoint or route is when you pick a waypoint to navigate to, the AP will steer to that waypoint. You could assign waypoints at critical points from the river to Church and let the AP take you there in the fog.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: autopilot/gps

grey ghost

how does the autopilot interface with and communicate with the GPS. do you have to have certain brand or model of GPS?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: autopilot/gps

The GPS unit communicates to the autopilot and other units like radar plotter by a NMEA standard which controls the electrical interface and syntax constructs over a 2 wire connections.

The GPS unit specification should delineate that it conforms to NMEA standard and will interface to autopilots

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: autopilot/gps

WOW, you lost me allready Gus.

John S.

Replying to:

The GPS unit communicates to the autopilot and other units like radar plotter by a NMEA standard which controls the electrical interface and syntax constructs over a 2 wire connections.

The GPS unit specification should delineate that it conforms to NMEA standard and will interface to autopilots

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: autopilot/gps

thanks gus. i'd love to get a setup like that someday. it's tough fishin' solo, especially with the riggers down , while trying to keep the boat under control and on course.

one more thing on the wish list. till then i've got the bungie cord hooked on the steering wheel. and the buckets off the sides to slow me down.

now, if they could only make a windshifter!

P.S. John, let's just get the one that plugs into the cigarette lighter. LOL

Gus,

We need to talk more about this, maybe I'll go that route, I'd love to see it work. If I wait until Spring I'll have to get out with you sometime. Is it simple to use once set up ???

But maybe I'll do it over the winter unless it's somethig I shouldn't do until the boats in the water ?????

I'll be giving you a call soon.

Fishing alone, especially with an wind is sometimes impossible.

John S.

Replying to:

Erbyjoe,
I presently have a Raymarine Sports Pilot, been on the boat since 2000 and has been giving me trouble ever since, time for a divorce. In the first year, had it in for repair 4 times. Fortunately, they were only 7 miles away and could run it over to them and wait for it to be repaired. They have discontinued this model, good move.

Looking at the AP12R from Simrad very seriously. There are very few autopilots that will support a cable steering system, there are mostly for hydraulic systems. There are a lot of guys on the Great Lakes using them and have not heard any complaint about the AP12 on forums.

John S,
You sure could use one, especially when you are fishing alone fighting a fish, helping buddy land a fish “that is with a net”, playing with tackle, setting lines and just plain relaxing.

I’ve had one for the last 25 years and would not be with out one; my first one was only a steer to heading type, because Al Gore had not invented GPS then. Today’s AP units with GPS inputs will steer to a heading, steer to a waypoints or use a route. The steer to heading is when you point the boat (barge in your case) to a direction and then activate the AP it will keep the boat on that course. The steer to waypoint or route is when you pick a waypoint to navigate to, the AP will steer to that waypoint. You could assign waypoints at critical points from the river to Church and let the AP take you there in the fog.

Thanks Gray Ghost It sounds like all you have to do is replace the main steering box under the console and hook it up to the gps and your ready to go.Thanks for all the info I fogot about the steering stuff (cable vs hydraulic)There is a place that sales this stuff with free shipping.They will match or beat any ones price it's where I bought my Furuno last year I will look up this unit and let you know the price.Thanks again for all the help.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer Board Masts: Fishlander vs. Big John?

Gray Ghost Here is the web site I told you about they are on sale right now.If you call ask for Jim he will take care of you I don't think you will find it cheaper if you do he will match it there is also no taxes and shipping charges.Its the cheapest I have seen yet this morning.Good luck.

Erin

http://byownerelectronics.com/store/product.php?productid=16644&cat=367&page=1

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer Board Masts: Fishlander vs. Big John?

Thanks.... that is the lowest price that I've seen. Now I need to get off the stick and place an order, maybe today.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer Board Masts: Fishlander vs. Big John?

Wow, thats about 200 cheaper than I was finding it elsewhere in my searches. Thanks for sharing the info. Been eyeing those units myself... maybe? maybe not? we'll see.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer Board Masts: Fishlander vs. Big John?

I'm glad I could help Jim is a real nice guy they are out of I belive maryland or New Jersey he ships them out as soon as you order them.I have a bunch of other sites if you don't see what you want from Jim I have done alot of reserch on my Furuno finder so that's how I found them.Good luck let me know if you end up getting one I don't know if I can squeeze that kind of $$ out of my pocket this year.But you never know.

Erin

Re: Re: Planer Board Masts: Fishlander vs. Big John?

I have 2 of the electric planer board reels and I love them. They do have a manual release knob on the side if there's a problem but as long as it's tight there's no free wheeling. They are Big John's and they are a bit pricey but what the hey, we go this way only once.

Big "P"

eric,

you can get all the big jon stuff in factory 2nds and save a few bucks. just call the factory and talk to John Williams. you can also check out ebay there most always is something there. i realy like all the big jon gear, have had good luck with all of it(planer reels, electric down riggers, otter boats, multi set rod holders)

ilucas

Thanks guys. I wondering about mixing and matching, so thanks for the feedback slip. The Big Jon otter boats looked pretty cool, but I wondered if the Fishlander mast might be a little better than the Big Jon. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way.

Eric

I have Big Jon mast/otter boards,, totally satisfied